Best and Worst DE Blade

The current stock of Medical Preps in a 250 box from Connaught seem exceptionally sharp to me, I dial the adjustable down to 1 for the first shave. Subsequent shaves are excellent and more forgiving. I have some 'old stock' Lab Blues from Connaught and they shave like a Med Prep on the second shave. Both are excellent and if you like the sharpest blade, you won't find anything sharper than a Med Prep.

Well this one is quite a difficult question. I have in my den 45 different models of DE blades between vintage and modern. Meaning several different Gillette etc. If I am going to grab A blade to throw in a new razor for a test...it will be a Personna Lab Blue or Personna Platinum. From there I will either dial up or down depending on the razor. So a Gillette Blue Tip is magical with a Kai SS and a Timeless Bronze OC .78 is phenomenal with a Super-Max Blue Diamond...

The worst? Gillette Super Thins, Derby Extra and Rockwell...

Thread revival from September... not the longest ever, but I wish you hadnt.

They all work more or less the same.

Look, there could be some blades that are inherently awful thanks to a poor manufacturing process. Those blades will be awful in all razors, for all people. I imagine some of the cheapest chinese blades fall into that category. These are the ones that almost everyone says are awful.

The reason I said "I imagine" is that I've used quite a selection of blades, although not as many as some of you. None of the ones I've tried were incapable of giving a good shave. Theyll all leave you BBS with good prep and technique.

This stuff about some blades being great in one razor but poor in another is ridiculous. Either they're poor blades or they work. Theres not much else to it!

...This stuff about some blades being great in one razor but poor in another is ridiculous. Either they're poor blades or they work. Theres not much else to it!

You're painting with a broad brush here. Different blades have different hone angles and sometimes that slight difference in degrees can be the difference that makes a "so so" shave into a DFS.

You're painting with a broad brush here. Different blades have different hone angles and sometimes that slight difference in degrees can be the difference that makes a "so so" shave into a DFS.
I agree with you - I'm aware it's a broad statement but I dobt believe the angle of one razor compared to another can significantly change the "feel" of a blade, or more importantly the outcome of a shave.

A blade would have to be pretty poor in the first place to become unusable just because of a change in angle.

I agree with you - I'm aware it's a broad statement but I dobt believe the angle of one razor compared to another can significantly change the "feel" of a blade, or more importantly the outcome of a shave.

A blade would have to be pretty poor in the first place to become unusable just because of a change in angle.

Then why do you think there is such a variance in opinions regarding certain blades? Granted, poor technique, poor prep & using a razor far more aggressive than one's needs can affect this, but I don't believe for one minute that those factors account for all differences in opinions.

For me:

Worst:
Treet.
Voshkod (had all the sharpness has a piece of wet cardboard in my experience).
Rockwell.

Best:
Gillette Nacet.
Feather.
Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium
Astra SP Green (a brilliant all-round blade for me that works in anything I own. And one I have good results with too, when I put it in a unfamiliar razor).

Then why do you think there is such a variance in opinions regarding certain blades? Granted, poor technique, poor prep & using a razor far more aggressive than one's needs can affect this, but I don't believe for one minute that those factors account for all differences in opinions.
I would assume its bias based on historical opinion, garnered from forums and the like. The variance suggests its opinion and not fact. Some people claim their Nacets are terrible while others think they're a superb blade. I do believe there may be a small variation in face feel... I have blades I prefer to others. But I havent come across one that doesnt work yet. And if they feel rubbish in one razor, I usually find they're no better in any other.

Best: Grow a beard
Worst: Anything sharp that endangers said beard

Kidding! Hedging my bets as the beard (currently looks like a kid pritt sticked his face before the dog had a major shedding) may not last but 'I Want to Believe'. Still, my razors, brushes et al are looking at me with disgust.

Latterly I had settled on the Gillette Platinum and Gillette 7 o'clock Black as my favourites. Unlike many, I disliked Astra SPs and Gillette Yellows and don't get me started on ZaZas!

I'm quite new to all this, I stumbled on only 2 blades that don't totally destroy my face Voskhod & 7 O'clock Yellow.

I've bought 50 of each, I can't see the point in searching once you find a blade that works.

By the time I've used up those 100 blades my technique will have improved and I'll be ready to try some others.

The worst I tried was Astra SP.

Back
Top Bottom