Been gifted a Gillette TTO

I guess that a lot of you (just like me) also 'live' on the B&B forum?
Anyway, I asked there about a Gillette TTO, Made in England that was given to me today.
Thought I may as well ask on here too in case the B&B forum can't help.
1. What model is this please (and year if possible)?
2. Can I strip it down to clean any gunk out of the TTO mechanism?
3. If I can strip it down, how?
Many thanks for any help.
The razor is currently having a bath in hot water and detergent.
Any other care and feeding rituals I should know?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy an ultra sonic cleaner that will do a little better job. Here's a vid on disassembly, but I have never done this with a Rocket as they are different than the parent U.S. version Super-Speed, e.g., crimped head & different twist cap. I'm sure someone else here has done it & will chime in however:

Nice razor! ........ It's a Rocket HD / HD 500 / or Gillete #59 .... Depepnding what case it came in

The mechanisms on these are assembled, then the whole thing is crimped together, so you won't be stripping it down any time soon.

I've dipped a few of these in a pan of boiling water before today ..... Clean up lovely

Sweet...thanks guys.
I like the idea of the boiling water. This razor has sat in a drawer for many years so who knows what may 'lurk' inside it.
I'll give it a boil up in the morning (9.18pm here at the moment).

I basically do the same a quick dip in boiling water 5 mins( if the razor is really filthy then a 5 mins soak in barbacide too) if not, i use a old toothbrush, "toothpaste"(yes toothpaste)/washing up liquid..a good scubbing( rinse with warm water,then use a tea towel/ cotton bubs to dry it..once a month i clean all my razors this way and have never had any problems with germs or scum residue left on the razor..

Sterilise in boiling water (no Milton/bleach), wrap in tissue to draw water out, a couple of squirts of WD40 to lubricate and make any blemishes removable with cotton wool buds.
Works for me on old '60s stuff!
Works for me

An Ultra-Sonic bath will get gunk from all the hard to reach places also good for adjustables that have lost their last quarter turn I got mine from aldi and every few months do all my razors in it

Sterilise in boiling water (no Milton/bleach), wrap in tissue to draw water out, a couple of squirts of WD40 to lubricate and make any blemishes removable with cotton wool buds.
Works for me on old '60s stuff!
Works for me

Actually, WD40 is not a lubricant. The "WD" stands for water dispersant. It's essentially kerosene, or a modern derivative thereof. The razor repair experts recommend/use glycerine to lube.

Slightly off topic, still recall hearing the comments of an R.N. " tiffy " after he had visited a civilian firearms range and witnessed some poor, well meaning unfortunate using WD 40 on the bolt action of a target rifle. His rage, even recalling the incident, was fearsome to behold !

JohnnyO. o/

As a note: you can use the German gun cleaner & all 'round lube Ballistol on razors as it's food grade. I have used it as such before, but be warned that the smell is not for the timid.

Actually, WD40 is not a lubricant. The "WD" stands for water dispersant. It's essentially kerosene, or a modern derivative thereof. The razor repair experts recommend/use glycerine to lube.
Well, well....I never knew that. Always use it to free up sticky nuts and bolts etc, so just assumed it was a lubricant as well!

Got a bottle of Ballistol right here I use for my rifle, Boge ....... You're right about that smell..... and if you leave the cap off for a while, it permeates the bloody room too.

GT75 is another one that gets on my nerves ...... It's Teflon based spray lube; got a bit of a stink of its own, too. I'm fed up of telling other cyclists to stop using it to lube their chains. It's got a million uses, but numpties still insist on using it in the one place lubrication is a bit critical even though it gets washed off in a ten second shower.