Battle of the Modems

I have 3 networks running at the house 2 on 4g private and business and a backup over BT copper. If I try to check a particular modem using the 192.168.1.1 link I always get the landline modem. The only way to access the 4g modems is to switch off the landline and either 4g modem. As the modems live far away from my office this is a bit of a trek and things grind to a halt. Is there a way to reconfigure the modems so access is available without switching other 2 off?

Animated GIF

I have 3 networks running at the house 2 on 4g private and business and a backup over BT copper. If I try to check a particular modem using the 192.168.1.1 link I always get the landline modem. The only way to access the 4g modems is to switch off the landline and either 4g modem. As the modems live far away from my office this is a bit of a trek and things grind to a halt. Is there a way to reconfigure the modems so access is available without switching other 2 off?
Yes you should be able to change the ip address of one of them , to another address in the range. for example 192.168.1.2

Ok this is very simple, if you have all your ‘modems’ configured in the same network number 192.168.1.0 only 1 of them will ever be working for you, or put another way you will only be utilising 1 of them at 1 time, presumably to allow for the other 2 to fail they will all be serving dhcp or giving out IP address’s.
This is not going to work for you, reconfigure at least two of them to give out 192.168.2.0 and 193.168.3.0 this way if one fails or two fail you will automatically switch to the last remaining network automatically, you will need to join them all at least once manually for this to work. Ps 3 internet gateways seems excessive even in an office environment.

It may be simpler to use a lan cable to each modem. You would be able to set an IP on your laptop and then connect up to the relevant one. In theory the IP setup would work on each of them so you could re-use.

Without Hijacking the topic does anyone name their routers?
At the moment mine is called “Police Surveillance Van”.
I change the name regularly, in the last year I’ve been TV Detector Van, HM Revenue & Customs (Undercover), Serious Organised Crime Unit and Mi5 Watchers. My neighbours don’t have a clue it’s me. Great fun.

It's common over here with "FBI Surveillance Van" being a popular one.

Back
Top Bottom