Barbicide...

Hi everyone!

..So I purchase my Barbicide, get it home..and then what? Does it have directions on the bottle, i.e put razor parts in a 50/50 solution, water and Barbicide? Or, "Do not break razor down, place whole in tumbler of Barbicide" and leave for one hour before rinsing under tap ? I am really concerned because apart from using a small headed toothbrush and hot water, I haven't given any of my razors a really hygenic clean yet !! :oops:

spandex..

Mix the barbicide up with water... 1 fl oz of Barbicide to 15 fl oz water. Razor in for 30 minutes and the job is jobbed. You can leave it in longer, but 30' is sufficient. Take it out, rinse it in copious fresh water. Dry it by whatever means you wish (I bake mine in the airing cupboard for 3 days) - polish it, use it.

Damian Murphy said:
The implication being that you're a mucky beggar. :lol:

Hi Damian!

Your comment is perhap's a little on the strong side, but, well, er ..yes, it would appear so! So, does anyone know exactly how to use the Barbicide then?? :?:

spandex :|

hunnymonster said:
Mix the barbicide up with water... 1 fl oz of Barbicide to 15 fl oz water. Razor in for 30 minutes and the job is jobbed. You can leave it in longer, but 30' is sufficient. Take it out, rinse it in copious fresh water. Dry it by whatever means you wish (I bake mine in the airing cupboard for 3 days) - polish it, use it.

Thanks hunny, just what I needed on this ! Down to earth, easy to understand, practical help, much obliged :D

Agree - 50-50 is pretty darn strong, best to be way more dilute Re-hunnymonsters instructions.
I always take mine apart before i soak. Then 5-10 mins, followed by a solid rinse before re-assembling and letting it dry for an hour or two.

I have an old Pickle jar in which keep an amount diluted with a secure screw top. I also make sure to keep it well out of reach of little fingers as the stuffs pretty nasty.

Attero said:
Agree - 50-50 is pretty darn strong, best to be way more dilute Re-hunnymonsters instructions.
I always take mine apart before i soak. Then 5-10 mins, followed by a solid rinse before re-assembling and letting it dry for an hour or two.

I have an old Pickle jar in which keep an amount diluted with a secure screw top. I also make sure to keep it well out of reach of little fingers as the stuffs pretty nasty.

Hi Attero!

How long would you say your solution lasts until it needs replacing? Guess one of our Chemists would know! I ask because I believe that although Barbicide appears to be the "proper" way to go to be sure of a good job, I understand it is quite "pricey". (By solution, I mean the one you make up in your Pickle jar, of course ) :)

My bottle arrived this morning, and the directions state "For a HOSPITAL STRENGTH disinfectant mix 60ml of Barbicide with in 1 litre of water, and totally immerse tools for 10 minutes".

It also lists the things it's been found to be effective against :shock:

I don't know how long the stuff is supposed to last tbh, I keep mine sealed air tight in my jar for 1-2 months?
I guess if your using it alot then you would need to change it far more regularly.. but im only doing 1-2 razors a month anyway so over contamination's not really an issue (if it is anyway as its pretty strong stuff)
One of our chemists should be able to give a proper answer.

I don't know as id call it pricey tbh.. My bottle cost me £8 and its still 75% full 2 years on.
I dont use a Litre of the stuff anyway, i have 1-2 inchs diluted at the bottom of my jar .. just enough to cover all the bits.

Attero said:
I don't know how long the stuff is supposed to last tbh, I keep mine sealed air tight in my jar for 1-2 months?
I guess if your using it alot then you would need to change it far more regularly.. but im only doing 1-2 razors a month anyway so over contamination's not really an issue (if it is anyway as its pretty strong stuff)
One of our chemists should be able to give a proper answer.

I don't know as id call it pricey tbh.. My bottle cost me £8 and its still 75% full 2 years on.
I dont use a Litre of the stuff anyway, i have 1-2 inchs diluted at the bottom of my jar .. just enough to cover all the bits.
..Very helpful Attero, thanks mate ! :)

Back
Top Bottom