Ballpoint Pen

What's your favourite ballpoint pen? When I was younger I had some decent Papermate and Parker ballpoints. Papermate as decent pens appear to have disappeared years ago. I have often looked at Parkers, Sheaffers and Waterman pens. Anyway, I just bought 2 Pelikan ballpoints. And may add a few more. My only fountain pen is a Lamy.

Well I have bought virtually all options, Parkers, Sheaffer, Waterman, Ohto, and Ballografs ...

I'm more of a fountain pen/mechanical and propelling pencil user, and the only ballpoint pen I have (other than the cheap freebies that sometimes arrive from here and there) is a Cross Century II chrome model. I use it mainly where a fountain pen just won't do, on things like plastic bank cards, some official forms, when gardening, doing machinery maintenance and so forth.

In a similar manner to that in which I spend some time finding the right fountain pen nib and ink combinations, it took me a while to decide which Cross refill was best suited to me. However, I'm one of those whose handwriting is a copperplate I finished learning around the time of the Manchester United Munich air disaster, and which isn't really suited to anything other than an ink pen. I do have some difficulty in reading things I've written with the Cross.

That said, I've seen some superb examples of handwriting made with ballpoints, which for me is a "How did he/she do that?" moment of admiration.

I prefer writing with a fountain pen, but when I have to use a Biro my pen of choice is the Parker Jotter. In my desk at home I have a 1954 Jotter, which is the first year they were made by Parker. For general use I have several Bic Cristals and Clics.

Above is a Parker Jotter and a Parker Gel pen in stainless steel. I am not impressed with the gel cartridge, I assume I can replace it with a Jotter ballpoint refill. Then it will be a superb Jotter.

Classic Zebra F-xMD Ballpoint
Stainless Steel construction with diamond cut finger grip.

1620762187156.png

I also think rollerball pens using fountain pen ink are pretty cool and smooth writers; like this Schneider Ray Rollerball Pen ~ looks like an orca.
1620762665282.png

Above is a Parker Jotter and a Parker Gel pen in stainless steel. I am not impressed with the gel cartridge, I assume I can replace it with a Jotter ballpoint refill. Then it will be a superb Jotter.
Indeed, I now have a stainless steel Jotter.

Classic Zebra F-xMD Ballpoint
Stainless Steel construction with diamond cut finger grip.

View attachment 69716

I also think rollerball pens using fountain pen ink are pretty cool and smooth writers; like this Schneider Ray Rollerball Pen ~ looks like an orca.
View attachment 69719
The Zebra is on the Cult Pens website where I ordered today's delivery from. Unfortunately their price sort was not working otherwise I may have spotted it. I will add it to my next order, as my gifts this year will be pens...

More pens have arrived which I need to take a photo of. One of which is a Tombow Zoom L505 City from Cult.

TM50076-GO_Tombow-Zoom-105-City-Ballpoint-Pen-Gold_P3.jpg

I have also ordered a Zoom 505 from Japan.

zoom505_main.png

And I am thinking about this Havanna from Cult.

TM08037_Tombow-Havanna-Rollerball-Pen-Chrome_P1.jpg

I maybe confused, the 505 is £13.00 from Japan. The Havanna is £35.00 reduced from £58.00 plus there will be the birthday discount from Cult Pens. However, I now think they are the same item.

TM08037_Tombow-Havanna-Rollerball-Pen-Chrome_DTL1_P2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom