Bad Blades

ever notice that some who love the harsh burn and facial damage of 6 blade cartridge razors LOVE the harshness of the Feather?

Not me, Sir!

Can grab a cartridge at a push when I'm under the gun in terms of getting out the door (usually a combination of an early start and a hangover) but cannot stand - or rather my skin can't - them Feathers! I've tried different razors, prep, creams, soaps - you name it! They just don't agree with me!

A v quick whizz over with a Mach 3 with adequate lather from whatever cream is nearby has got me out of trouble several times without facial burn or damage to my face!

As for minging blades - Dorco ST300. Only blade I've ever changed before the end of the first pass as its so blunt.

I guess each to his own and I know Neil Jagger had partnered with Feather and recommends them for his DE89. You get a complimentary pack with the razor. This is how I got to try them. I found they cut close but gave horrendous razor burn and left me with a bleeding neck then horrendous ingrowing hair and razor bumps. I tossed the packet. Anything Russian from either the Gilette St Petersberg factory or the Mostolegsmash (or whatever it's called: Rapira, Voshkod etc) are much much more comfortable and still give a smooth close shave. Derby blades were not for me either. I have yet to try the Vidyut Supermax Stainless which seem to get a lot of criticism though. Treets seem to be great for me especially the Carbon Steel but they are two shaves and toss. I have their platinums but not tried yet. Has anyone tried Shahzad of Bangladesh. Not seen these advertized anywhere.

Last edited:
If you ditch em you're welcome to ditch them my way . One of my favourite blades.

...during the summer I enjoy sharp blades - Feather, Gillette Russian Yellows; during the winter I enjoy a less sharp more forgiving blade - Shark. I also enjoy using Med Preps, Gillette Indian Green's, and PermaSharp's. I do find the non-Gillette Russian blades (Voshkod, Rapira, Sputnik etc) too mild. However I have yet to find a blade that has been unusable...

I can't believe you find the Shark to be mild! It felt like I was using the R41 without any soap or cream whatsoever! It was horrible and painful. I had to stop halfway through and revert to my 39c with a Voskhod to finish the shave.

I havn't tried as many blades out as some people here, as I've only come back to proper wet shaving this year. But I do already have a few favorites, and a few that I hate.
Reliable and always gut for a BBS shave: Astra SP's, Polsilver, Personna reds.
Blades that I will never, ever use again: Feather, Derby, Merkur. All as rough as a badgers arse, and totally unuseable for me. YMMV...
I also have a tuck of Sharks that I got with my Parker 99R, but after reading some of the opinions here about them, I'm not sure whether I should risk trying them or not

I can't believe you find the Shark to be mild! It felt like I was using the R41 without any soap or cream whatsoever! It was horrible and painful. I had to stop halfway through and revert to my 39c with a Voskhod to finish the shave.

...blades really are YMMV...for me Sharks are lower-medium sharpness but smooth and forgiving. I can use the blade with wreckless abandon much like a cartridge...facial skin thickness and the heaviness of our beards I guess is so variable...I would opine that a shaver with northern european heritage is likely to have different preferences to say shavers with southern european heritage...

Oh give those Sharks a go! I hate suffering alone.