Back to my youth - Fat to fit

Congrats on the weight loss.

I don't have any plans at the moment for a diet. I'm hoping that the starting to exercise will be enough.

I'm not overly concerned about my weight, I just want to lose the wobbly bits and get back into some of my old clothes.

For the record though, I'm currently:

18st 8lbs
48" moobs
49.5" round the belly
47" where my waist used to be
47.5 hip/butt area
You didn't look 18st when I brought the, er, Fatboy round. I'm amazed. You are quite tall though Dave, you hide it well.

I have found myself in a similar situation with breathing and heart rate, mostly due to overwork. I have lost a stone just by swapping FROM porridge, toast, cereal TO bacon, eggs and mushrooms. I've reduced my sugar and carbs, but upped the protein. No existing on one lettuce leaf, that's not sustainable. I'm not into diets and didn't go full keto but just reduced my carbs and sugar a bit, increased fruit, protein etc as well as upping my exercise as much as I can whilst working too long.

Swimming is supposed to be good too, low impact and all round, as you know if you were smashing out half a km in your lunch break! Good luck with your mission.

I went from very fat to pretty decently fit and strong between the ages of 40 and 43 but am now going back the other way, alas. I swore it wouldn’t happen again but I’ve not been right since Hibs won the cup in 2016! In reality, I got led astray by Mr Arthur Itis and the old blues of bleak blueness. Need to reverse the decline for the sake of my knees and overall health but by ‘eck it gets monumentally harder as you get older and I swear that ain’t an excuse.

All the very best, sir.

How does the 16/8 work for meals? Do you only have 1 meal a day during the 8hr period?
I have just started a training regime of 3 days swimming and 3 days Gym alternating. I am getting fitter and stronger after about 3 to 4 weeks in.
We always ate pretty healthy meals, however, portion size has had to reduce. I was never one for diets.
I can feel my body changing under the fat layer and would not mind burning a bit of that off. Early days and down about half a stone although the muscle built will weigh more than the fat lost.

Last edited:
How does the 16/8 work for meals? Do you only have 1 meal a day during the 8hr period?
I have just started a training regime of 3 days swimming and 3 days Gym alternating. I am getting fitter and stronger after about 3 to 4 weeks in.
We always ate pretty healthy meals, however, portion size has had to reduce. I was never one for diets.
I can feel my body changing under the fat layer and would not mind burning a bit of that off. Early days and down about half a stone although the muscle built will weigh more than the fat lost.

This may help. https://www.goodto.com/wellbeing/diets-exercise/16-8-diet-plan-289305

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony everyone different but basically you don’t eat for 16 hours.
And within reason eat what you want in that 8 hour period.
I say eat what you want but obviously you need to be sensible.

This Morning i had a 2 egg mushroom omelette for breakfast, i wasn’t hungry at lunch time now so i’ll just wait for my Dinner at 4.

I try to have my main meal early ish around 4 or sometimes 5pm but iv even went to 6 which means i can’t eat again until 10am.

To be honest for me it’s not a big deal as i get quite lazy when i first arrive back home from abroad.

I try not to eat Bread, Rice, Pasta & Potatoes although i do eat them when i feel like it.

Iv actually made a Curry for Dinner but i’ll have it without Rice, Boring i know but it’s just how i do it.

Last edited:
Well done Badger410, you've made the hardest, first step. I think you have to build exercise and good food habits into your lifestyle, temporary diets don't work. Even better if you can take your exercise outdoors, it's much more stimulating than a sweaty gym, and cheaper!

Well Fridays are hard. Started off with raw carrot and hummus. Fat free yogurt with toasted almonds... Then lost it and I've just guzzled kebab on chips and a large G&T. I guess the weight I lost is "in the bank" so, er, all good LOL!

Yip Friday is my day (evening) - did OK on my food intake, however, strong cider then a couple or three glasses of wine but eyeing up the heavy stuff, the Martel VS Cognac (straight-up) is looking good.

Well done you chaps for all the efforts including the 'still drinking clan'. Cognac is a big weakness here.

Know how you feel @Badger410

I was recently diagnosed as being pre-pre diabetic whatever the buggery hell that means and put on to the NHS diabetes prevention plan. Now lost a couple of stone, 2 inches on my waistline and getting much fitter out of it all. Cycling 10 to 20+ miles every day (when not on my working week) and arsing about with gardens has made me stronger.

Presently 6ft 2.5" and 14stone 7lbs. 36 waist

Reality sucks!

I bought a fitness tracking watch and have been using it since Friday........ The associated app states I have the fitness age of......................... 72
Now that has to be wrong I've been on the treadmill 9 out of the last 10 days and I feel much older. :)

The step counting function of the watch shows that since retiring my average steps per day was lower than 800. the recommended MINIMUM for my age is 3000 with an active person doing around 7000. I'm currently averaging over 3000 but still a long way to go.

Being able to run is still a way off and I looked into some strengthening exercises to help things along. I'm not strong or flexible enough to do some of these yet. 15mins walking at a medium pace causes a mildly sharp pain in my right hip, by 30mins it's causing me to limp.
A 30 min walk is about 1.5Km at the moment. So running a 5Km race under 30mins by 6th Aug is probably (almost definitely) not going to happen.

So my current goal is to be able to walk/run 5Km in an hour.

The upside, despite the disappointment of allowing myself to get into such a poor state, is I am driven to put things right and can feel a slight benefit already.

IMG_0558.PNG

Last edited:
Reality sucks!

I bought a fitness tracking watch and have been using it since Friday........ The associated app states I have the fitness age of......................... 72
Now that has to be wrong I've been on the treadmill 9 out of the last 10 days and I feel much older. :)

The step counting function of the watch shows that since retiring my average steps per day was lower than 800. the recommended MINIMUM for my age is 3000 with an active person doing around 7000. I'm currently averaging over 3000 but still a long way to go.

Being able to run is still a way off and I looked into some strengthening exercises to help things along. I'm not strong or flexible enough to do some of these yet. 15mins walking at a medium pace causes a mildly sharp pain in my right hip, by 30mins it's causing me to limp.
A 30 min walk is about 1.5Km at the moment. So running a 5Km race under 30mins by 6th Aug is probably (almost definitely) not going to happen.

So my current goal is to be able to walk/run 5Km in an hour.

The upside, despite the disappointment of allowing myself to get into such a poor state, is I am driven to put things right and can feel a slight benefit already.

View attachment 88474

Doing something is better than doing nothing. Keep going

My advice is to ignore the VO2 max from the watch, is it a Garmin btw?

If you are getting into running I recommend trying the Nike Run Club App, it has a lot of training runs, pre-recorded, that you can download. It might sound a bit meh but they are formatted really well. They have some different professional coaches who will talk at regular intervals and the beginner ones will mostly be telling you that you are running too fast and to slow down. I found some of them quite motivating and full of dad jokes.

Alas, the winters here bring a lot of snow which lasts from December until April so I tend to put on some hibernation timber during that period. I have access to a treadmill at a local sports centre but they always have the heating on and windows closed which is too hot for me and made me a bit wary of the virus situation. Anyway, I am back on the road, enjoying the warmer weather and trying to get rid of that belly that I managed to build up over winter.
PS I recommend you get fitted for shoes as soon as you can, makes a huge difference to how long you can run and more importantly - less chance of injury.

My advice is to ignore the VO2 max from the watch, is it a Garmin btw?

If you are getting into running I recommend trying the Nike Run Club App, it has a lot of training runs, pre-recorded, that you can download. It might sound a bit meh but they are formatted really well. They have some different professional coaches who will talk at regular intervals and the beginner ones will mostly be telling you that you are running too fast and to slow down. I found some of them quite motivating and full of dad jokes.

Alas, the winters here bring a lot of snow which lasts from December until April so I tend to put on some hibernation timber during that period. I have access to a treadmill at a local sports centre but they always have the heating on and windows closed which is too hot for me and made me a bit wary of the virus situation. Anyway, I am back on the road, enjoying the warmer weather and trying to get rid of that belly that I managed to build up over winter.
PS I recommend you get fitted for shoes as soon as you can, makes a huge difference to how long you can run and more importantly - less chance of injury.

Thanks.

Yes, it is a Garmin, the Forerunner 45.
I'll look into the Nike app and I plan to get proper shoes soon. I have a running shop fairly close that provide a Gait analysis service.

Back
Top Bottom