Back to basics

Hi

As usual there is a forum for anything you are interested in. After being indifferent to shaving, using multiple blades and bog standard gels, I've gone back to basics. Now in my 60s I want to treat myself to a bit of quality so I am going to ask a few questions to get me on my way. But I will have a good look at other threads first.

welcome Fido you will find plenty of people willing to answer questions here.

Welcome Fido

fire away, there's a wealth of knowledge here and some decidedly dodgy characters as well :lol:

you know who you are :ugeek:

more likely a bunch of sad individuals.

i work shifts so i check in when i can, other lads work from home and some use the computers at work instead of working!

glad to here your going back to proper wet-shaving though.

i'm jumping the gun a bit here but the first advice i'd give you (you can ignore and/or tell me to p*ss off) is to keep/use the cartidge razor 'til they run out but switch straight away to a brush and a decent soap/cream.
re-learn how to make proper lather and Bob's your Uncle

I'm already aware of the need to learn how to make a decent lather. I've been leaving too much water on the brush and producing foam rather than cream. I'm getting better. I've asked elswhere for suggestions about soaps and creams to try.

hando said:
i'm jumping the gun a bit here but the first advice i'd give you (you can ignore and/or tell me to p*ss off) is to keep/use the cartidge razor 'til they run out but switch straight away to a brush and a decent soap/cream.
re-learn how to make proper lather and Bob's your Uncle

Hando that is superb advice. So many people dump the cartridges and cans and go for the whole soap/cream/brush/de/straight thing all at once. I'm with you, concentrate on the prep and lathering to start with, get those right and think about a new razor for later.

cheers

Pete

That *is* good advice -- I started out with a good brush (which was a Christmas present), got the hang of the whole lather thing and then finally got a DE (aka safety) razor. O/wise it's too much change at once.

I jumped in both feet first - new brush (Men-U boar), new soap (Proraso soap - not cream) with a Parker razor and Bangladeshi blades so it was very much Russian Roulette for me :mrgreen: Worked out well though - if I'd used the second blade in the box it might have been a very different story.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59?blend=5&ob=4">http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59?blend=5&ob=4</a><!-- m -->

all of these are mandatory viewing

Back
Top Bottom