B&N Nook e-readers and tablets slashed in price

As a promotion tied to "Get London Reading Week" or some such - Barnes & Noble have dropped the price of their base e-ink offering (the Nook Simple Touch) to £29 and there's up to £70 off across the range.

Not sure if anyone is interested but there you go

Theoretical availability: major UK retailers including Argos, ASDA, Blackwell's, Foyles, Currys / PC World, John Lewis, Sainsbury's and Very, as well as NOOK.co.uk.

It's basically an ePub reader - so you can use books from B&N/Nook, Sony, etc - but not Amazon (at least not directly).

However - you can apparently root it (it's Android-based) and install the Android Kindle app... http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch/Rooting - which is nice

Now that sounds like a good deal, would like to see amazon try a similar offer with the paperwhite.

This looks like a really good deal. Has anyone here tried one? I've been looking at reviews but, and here's where the cynic in me takes over, I can't help but think that most of these sites are paid to say nice things! How does it compare to the kindle?

Great big thanks to you HM. I've been wondering about trying an E reader for a long time. Just ordered mine. Not going to root it. If B and N are good enough to let me have a Nook this dirt cheap they deserve at least some of my business.

Count of Undolpho said:
If you are just wanting to read ebooks from different sellers on it I thoroughly recommend going the Calibre route, less hassle than rooting.

I'd never heard of Calibre before, thanks for letting me know. It will save me a lot of hassle in the future.

Count of Undolpho said:
If you are just wanting to read ebooks from different sellers on it I thoroughly recommend going the Calibre route, less hassle than rooting.

i also use calibre companion on mobiles as well.

this allows you to use calibre with android phones to transfer books.

you might need to remove the drm on some books to change the format but doing it is trivial with a plugin for calibre

by apretice alf

http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/tools-v6-0-5-posted/

Well, I have to say I am highly disappointed - verging on raging.

I ordered one of the Simple Touch models on the 1st. Then got an email saying there was an issue with my card (which I knew wasn't the case). Shortly after that I get an email apologising for the misunderstanding and urging me to re-order. I don't know why they couldn't just process my initial order.

Anyway, I re-order on the 2nd and get a confirmation that all is well and good. I then get an email saying it is scheduled to ship (you can see where this going).

Then yesterday (the 3rd), I get an e-mail saying that they are out of stock and urging me to order the £69 Glowlight model! I was livid and sent them a remarkably civil e-mail, considering how annoyed I was. I am still awaiting a reply but I don't hold out hope for a resolution.

Has anyone else here ordered one with this offer? Did they fulfill it? Maybe I'm being cynical, but to me it seems like they had no intention of fufilling my order - the BS about my card was dodgy to begin with.

Anyway, sorry for the rant - I'm wondering if anyone else here managed to order one successfully?