Award-winning Locally Produced Food

I was over in Jedburgh today, restocking the cupboards with lots of yummy produce from the Border Hills when my attention was grabbed by an anonymous looking pie, with a sign on top "Winner of the Hot Savoury Pie category - British Pie Awards 2009".

Now aside from knowing that the pies from that butcher produces exceptionally fantastic pies anyway, and after I'd stopped chuckling at the idea of the "British Pie Awards" - I bought one, in the name of research - and because it was lunch time and I was hungry.

The content of the pie: Chicken, Haggis & Peppercorn - works amazingly well. Although the steak pies take some beating.

They also do the best dry-cure smoked locally-reared locally-slaughtered locally-cured bacon I've had the fortune to eat - sliced in front of you to your own thickness specification (and if you're really lucky the slicer is broken and Jim will hand slice it with a knife)

If you ever happen to be passing through or close by Jedburgh, I can highly recommend a trip to A J Learmonth, 13 High Street (free parking directly outside the shop, in Canongate or the large free car park at the bottom of Canongate (150yd walk))

Back
Top Bottom