Attar Question - Al-Aneeq Oud Maqam

globalm

Administrator
Staff Member
Supporter
Paul ( @pjgh ) or any other attar guru

I have acquired a small (3ml) bottle of this oil-based scent and have fallen for it! I have been looking to buy some more but cannot now find it in oil-based form. There is an alcohol-based version though, so I would like to know -

1. Does alcohol formulation bring about any noticeable change to the scent or its behaviour?
2. Do you know any source of the oil-based version, as Al-Aneeq themselves appear to have sold out?

FYI - there is a version by ASAQ but it seems to have different notes and it's hideously expensive! ;)

Thanks.

I have acquired a small (3ml) bottle of this oil-based scent and have fallen for it! I have been looking to buy some more but cannot now find it in oil-based form. There is an alcohol-based version though, so I would like to know -

1. Does alcohol formulation bring about any noticeable change to the scent or its behaviour?
2. Do you know any source of the oil-based version, as Al-Aneeq themselves appear to have sold out?

FYI - there is a version by ASAQ but it seems to have different notes and it's hideously expensive! ;)

Thanks.
No idea tbh what difference alcohol will make but most if not all attars will be alcohol free time

I've used attars for so long, I do t have a sensitive type of nose, if it smells nice and good, its all good lol

Thanks.
Could this be what your looking for

Yeah, ASAQ is a premium brand. Think Avon vs YSL :ROFLMAO:

Okay, I've only had a couple (literally, two) of fragrances in both oil and alcohol, but I have "let out" a few 3ml vials with perfumer's alcohol. My general impression is that with alcohol, it will flash off quicker so many of the high notes will shout out and then practically disappear. As an oil, it all happens much slower and more revealing.

What I would say is that one of those two mentioned did not spray at all like a western frag. I believe the alcohol is different (for religious permitted out) and the spray head was less of a mister and more like a squirt - I had to rub it in a bit with my wrists.

Be aware that Oud Maqam kinda means "really good oudh" or "top-notch stuff" and so notes may well vary all over the place by manufacturer. I did have one from a Oudh al Anfar simply called "al Maqam" and that shared a lot of notes. I think your choices are limited and it would appear that the choice is made for Al Aneeq: https://www.al-aneeq.co.uk/mens-eau-de-parfum/oud-maqam-fragrance-for-men-eau-de-parfum-100ml

I have a number (oils) from Al Aneeq and they do indeed have a very good blender and source pretty good scents.

Thanks guys.

Mike, although the one you posted isn't the one I'm looking for, that seller does have Oud Maqam in 3ml bottles so I can get a couple of them instead of a single 12ml bottle.
I might try the 100ml alcohol based version too, as it's not terribly expensive.

Paul. Yes, it's a bit like 'Ras Al Hanout' - the best in the shop - what shop and whose idea of 'best'? I'll likely try the alcohol version. It will make an interesting comparison.

Thanks guys.

Mike, although the one you posted isn't the one I'm looking for, that seller does have Oud Maqam in 3ml bottles so I can get a couple of them instead of a single 12ml bottle.
I might try the 100ml alcohol based version too, as it's not terribly expensive.

Paul. Yes, it's a bit like 'Ras Al Hanout' - the best in the shop - what shop and whose idea of 'best'? I'll likely try the alcohol version. It will make an interesting comparison.
@globalm you should find Al Aneeq Oud Maqam attar ( 3ml) on Amazon UK.

I was interested by your enthusiasm for this attar and since I have an interest in fragrances your thread drew my attention.
I spent 10+ years in the Middle East and in my experience the cost of their perfumes for the most part does genuinely reflect the quality contained within. At £4 for 3ml I’d say this likely contains very high quality and some hard to find ingredients.

FWIW I’d be tempted to buy the 100ml EDP regardless as it should also be quite long lasting and project well. The perfumers are able to blend the oil effectively into an EDT or EDP so I might not be overly concerned about the introduction of alcohol. The scent you enjoy should still be very evident in the fragrance. I bought numerous fragrances in my time in ME and all of them were pretty potent even in EDT / EDP form. YMMV
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the EDP if you do buy it.

@globalm you should find Al Aneeq Oud Maqam attar ( 3ml) on Amazon UK.

I was interested by your enthusiasm for this attar and since I have an interest in fragrances your thread drew my attention.
I spent 10+ years in the Middle East and in my experience the cost of their perfumes for the most part does genuinely reflect the quality contained within. At £4 for 3ml I’d say this likely contains very high quality and some hard to find ingredients.

FWIW I’d be tempted to buy the 100ml EDP regardless as it should also be quite long lasting and project well. The perfumers are able to blend the oil effectively into an EDT or EDP so I might not be overly concerned about the introduction of alcohol. The scent you enjoy should still be very evident in the fragrance. I bought numerous fragrances in my time in ME and all of them were pretty potent even in EDT / EDP form. YMMV
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the EDP if you do buy it.
I probably will buy the EDP in a week or two. I'm very taken by this fragrance and, while I realise that 3ml will last for ages, I am driven to lay in a larger supply.

The 3ml is available on Amazon but I was looking for a 10-12ml which doesn't seem to be made.

Back
Top Bottom