Astra Green - Is it just me?

I know that these are well thought of but I just can’t get on with them compared to Featheir, Derby (blue and black), Persona etc.

I’m using a 38c Merkur and Lea Classic Cream after Proraso pre shave, the Astras are disappointing in so much as they dont seem very close and I have sharp stubble back 12 hours later which is twice As quick as others.

ideally I’d like a paper boxed alternative to feather as the reason I stated DE shaving was to put less plastic into landfill (as well as saving money - that bit didn’t really work)

Suggestions welcomed!

No, it's not just you. I don't generally get on very well with Astra Greens. What is interesting is that the same blade performs very differently in different razors. So I have razors which I use exclusively with Astra Greens and others which gave me horrible shaves so never again.

Feathers on the other hand I don't get on with at all. For me it's way too sharp to the point of being harsh and looses its sharpness quite rapidly. I just keep enough of them to remind myself how bad they are for me when someone else is praising them.

For me a sharp alternative would be a Nacet, Permasharp or Kai blade. But as always in this game YMMV.

Welcome!

I'd concur with ATG's list (although, personally I did not like the Kai), but Nacet and Permasharp are certainly blades you'll get properly shaved with. I'd add Silver Star (by Lord) to the list and the Gillette London Bridge (almost vampiric) & Super Gillette Blues coming out of Shanghai now. To my face, the Super Gillette Blues pip even the hallowed Personna Platinum Chrome!

If you fancy a peep over the fence into carbon steel blades (rather than stainless) then the Treet DuraSharp in the yellow packaging is a lovely shave. A sharp blade from the off, which actually responds to a little hand stropping after 3 or 4 shaves, if that's something you want to do.

Don't discount pre shave prep as a possible reason for a poor / rough shave. Something I was reminded of myself recently.
If you're only using a pre-shave cream to prepare it probably isn’t enough, especially with a tougher beard.
Preparing your face well with either a shower or hot towel before hand definitely softens up the beard far better than a pre-shave alone IMHO.
I had a rough experience last week because I hadn’t showered prior to shaving which was a rare occurrence for me.
I used Proraso Green pre-shave but it did nothing to soften the stubble properly so when I shaved the blade felt as if it was tearing at the hair as opposed to cutting through it.

Another suggestion is regarding the Proraso pre-shave. There are occasions when this cream actually dries out my skin and also affects the soap I’m applying on top.
Its like it dries out the lather making it less slick and can cause unwanted drag on the blade. I do like the menthol in it however but I use it less frequently than before. It might be worth trying a pre-shave oil to see how it compares ?
Of course we’re all individual and my experience might simply be due to my own skin type. YMMV.

No, again, not you.

I've tried them 4 or 5 times and even opened a new tuck to make sure I didn't just have a bad batch.

They [Astra's] are now confined to use in the wife's Merkur 24C that she uses for leg shaving, which, seeing as she used my discarded carts previously is obviously a step up.

• Haha
Reactions: ATG
Don't discount pre shave prep as a possible reason for a poor / rough shave. Something I was reminded of myself recently.
If you're only using a pre-shave cream to prepare it probably isn’t enough, especially with a tougher beard.
Preparing your face well with either a shower or hot towel before hand definitely softens up the beard far better than a pre-shave alone IMHO.
I had a rough experience last week because I hadn’t showered prior to shaving which was a rare occurrence for me.
I used Proraso Green pre-shave but it did nothing to soften the stubble properly so when I shaved the blade felt as if it was tearing at the hair as opposed to cutting through it.

Another suggestion is regarding the Proraso pre-shave. There are occasions when this cream actually dries out my skin and also affects the soap I’m applying on top.
Its like it dries out the lather making it less slick and can cause unwanted drag on the blade. I do like the menthol in it however but I use it less frequently than before. It might be worth trying a pre-shave oil to see how it compares ?
Of course we’re all individual and my experience might simply be due to my own skin type. YMMV.
Thanks, completely understand although now I akways shave after a shower to give myself the best possible chance! I tried the Taylor’s and king of shaves oil (always used that with cartridge razor) and didn’t like it, prefer the proraso, but might try without although it feels that it holds moisure on whilst I whip of cream

Chaps, thank you, I have some Gillette super blue to try so I’ll get to those next and will add the Nacet etc when I’ve got through current trial pack

Chaps, thank you, I have some Gillette super blue to try so I’ll get to those next and will add the Nacet etc when I’ve got through current trial pack
Super Blue are a great blade through my Merkur 34 (and just about anything else actually.) Definitely in the top three of everything I've tried.

i have to say i have become a big convert to pre washing my face and neck with a bar of plain gentle soap and hot water a couple of times immediately before shaving - it seems to do far more than showering or any pre-shave product ever has for me.

I would also say that i have had terrible shaves where i get nicked just because i haven't done enough prep

Back
Top Bottom