Are all Gillette adjustables calibrated the same?

I have been using a Gillette Slim for the last few months and it has been delivering a great shave.

A week ago I picked up a Gillette Super and used it over the weekend on the same settings as my Slim, i.e. a 3 on the 1st WTG pass and a 6 on the 2nd pass. This was a mistake because after finishing the shave my skin felt slightly raw and then there was some irritation on my neck as well.

I then had a look at the Slim and the Super head to head on a 3 and you could see slightly more of the blade exposed on the Super than the Slim hence the reason why my skin felt raw and looked slightly raw as well.

I will shave again with the Super tomorrow and do a 3 then a 4 this time and see how I get on.

I wouldn't assume anything, let alone expecting to get the same result from a different razor.

There might be 20 years between them and they can quite easily be under or over clocked. Do they even the same heads and handles? I don't own either any more.

antdad said:
I wouldn't assume anything.

Especially as they can be easily under or over clocked and there might be 20 years between them.

Thanks for confirming that.

I also have a Fatboy that I bought recently and when I use that for the first time I will wind it right down before shaving.

When I owned a Slim and Super I didn't compare them accurately, they felt different though handle length not withstanding.

My Super's rattled my Slims didn't.

I tried a 3 then a 4 today, rather than a 3 then a 6 as at the weekend and things were slightly better, but my skin feels as though it has been scraped (not as bad though).

Next step will be swapping the Super Thin blade for my tried and trusted 7 0'clock Sharp Edge as the Super plus a Super Thin is not a good combination for me.

Well I finally got around to trying a 7 o'clock Sharp Egde in my Super today.

I did the first pass on a 3 and the second pass on a 4 and it felt smoother, but it still felt more aggressive than the Slim on a 3 then a 5 with the same blade.

I finished the shave with some Trumpers Skin food and my skin did settle down.

I guess I have found the limit for a comfortable shave with each razor and blade :)

I now have 2 Slims and they do not 'behave' identically at the same settings, Antdad is correct, it is not an exact science. If the manufactured tolerances are out very, very slightly or the razors have been over stressed or settings changed without slackening off the mechanism the level of aggression will be different, so.......!

Back
Top Bottom