Aramis - Any Fans?

FJY

Hi Everyone!

I decided to start this thread, in order to have another wander down Memory Lane with another old "classic" - Aramis.

I first became aware of it when one of my mother's friends used to wear it. He always seemed as though he bathed in the stuff, as you could always smell him even when he had long left the room! That was my first memory of Aramis, and also my introduction to one of the "Kings Of Aftershave". I loved it ever since, and bought my first bottle of it when I was in my mid 30s. It has always been expensive and I couldn't really afford it until then. So, I started using it myself quite late in life.

However, I have noticed that, over time, it has grown weaker and weaker. When I first started using it, a little dab or spray would last me all day until bedtime, and it was never necessary for any "top-ups". Now, though, although I still love it, I find that I constantly have to re-apply it, sometimes several times in one day. This would never have happened years ago, and I find myself wondering if it has been re-formulated or, even worse, watered-down. It is also not as strong as it once was. Everyone used to know I was around when I used it before, but now most people can't even tell I am wearing it, unless they are right up close to me. It is certainly much weaker now. I still buy it and use it, but I find myself becoming very disillusioned with it. I often wonder why I haven't made it a memory and moved onto another one that I CAN smell. There doesn't seem much point if neither myself or anyone else can smell it.

So....I wondered if any of you guys are fans of Aramis? If so, what are your opinions on this once mighty aftershave/EDT? I would love to know what you think, and if I am wrong. I don't think that I AM wrong, though....

Thanks again for your time!

Regards,

FJY

I remember me mam and dad getting me a bottle of aramis aftershave from duty free when they went on holiday mid 80s time, I loved it and wore it a lot. I have a bottle of edt now and tbh it smells pretty much as I remember it...but when I was young the skies went on forever and they always had little fluffy clouds in them...

Certainly one I restock when I find the bottle empty ...

I think one of the possible reasons for a lack of potency in current bottles versus vintage is that oakmoss has been mandatorially removed from perfume and is now synthesised. I am sensitive to oakmoss (in a good way) and vintage perfume with oakmoss makes me very happy ... kinda like nip to cats. But, the synthetic does nothing for me. I find many modern formulations quite flat.

I am very lucky to have a vintage bottle of the aftershave, which I find almost as potent (and more so in some respects) as the modern bottle of EDT that I have. I still find the EDT to have a good scent, but it's not like you get to announce yourself from the next room. I've been using arabic oils (attars) for a few years now and practically always find myself disappointed by western sprays nowadays.

I recently grabbed aramis jhl, as well as discontinued tobacco reserve! Jhl certainly smells slightly vintage to me (but a great scent). Luckily not overly so - but then again, somehow majority of scents with carnation in it make things smell slightly dated! I’m yet to open up the bottle of tobacco reserve

Screenshot_20220403-090629.jpg
I like it even if it's not as strong as it used to be, it's one of the aftershaves or Edt's the transport me back to my younger years!
It's not so expensive so reapplying through the day is no big deal. :)

Paul

Back
Top Bottom