Applying aftershave

Hye guys.

I don't know if you have seen my post on the welcome board, but I am new to D/E shaving.

After reading this forum, I chose to order three small aftershave samples from Paul (very good service, may I add). I got Proraso A/S, DR Harris Sandalwood and Taylor Sandalwood.

Anyway, I was wondering what the best method was for getting the liquid out of the bottle and onto the face? How do you get it out the bottle without using too much, and do you rub, pat or brush it onto the face?

Sorry if it's an obvious question. Like I said, I'm a total newbie! Any advice would be very much appreciated.

aberimp said:
Hye guys.

I don't know if you have seen my post on the welcome board, but I am new to D/E shaving.

After reading this forum, I chose to order three small aftershave samples from Paul (very good service, may I add). I got Proraso A/S, DR Harris Sandalwood and Taylor Sandalwood.

Anyway, I was wondering what the best method was for getting the liquid out of the bottle and onto the face? How do you get it out the bottle without using too much, and do you rub, pat or brush it onto the face?

Sorry if it's an obvious question. Like I said, I'm a total newbie! Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hello, welcome aboard.

Put your finger over the opening and move it to regulate the amount that comes out.

Hope this helps.

Vinny.

With after shave, I always aim to use more rather than less. Tip what you need into the palm of one hand, rub your two hands together then plaster your face and neck. I like to finish shaving with a cold rinse, dab with a towel then immediately apply after shave onto a damp face. Makes it easier to apply after shave, and over a slightly damp face it tends to go further -. it sort of dilutes your A/S

Pretty much as above..

Thumb over the bottle neck , tip a wee bit into the palm of my hand - as with Fido i tend to use a decent amount as I tend leave my face pretty wet. (Unless its one of the heavier AS's with lots of alcohol then i do moderate a bit)
Then i rub my hands together and slap it on gently cheeks first then neck.

On occasion if im using a Balm as well that's not overly scented i might add a bit of AS to that before i rub it into my face.

Cheers for the feedback, guys.

cheese_dave said:
aberimp said:
...DR Harris Sandalwood...
I'd be interested in your opinion on this, I bought some and I really don't like it.

I used this for the first time today (after using Taylor's Sandalwood yesterday). It seemed to have a high alcohol content, and stung a little on application to the face, even though there were no exposed cuts. However, the smell was very nice and hung around into the afternoon. I found it to be a slightly sweet scent, quite a lot more 'woody' than the Taylor's Sandalwood. Personally, I preferred it to the Taylor's. I'm not sure how highly it ranks in the larger scheme of aftershaves, as I have only tried two. However, if I had to buy a big bottle of either Taylor's or DR Harris, I'd have the Harris any day.

I guess it's just a case of horses for courses.

aberimp said:
Cheers for the feedback, guys.

cheese_dave said:
aberimp said:
...DR Harris Sandalwood...
I'd be interested in your opinion on this, I bought some and I really don't like it.

I used this for the first time today (after using Taylor's Sandalwood yesterday). It seemed to have a high alcohol content, and stung a little on application to the face, even though there were no exposed cuts. However, the smell was very nice and hung around into the afternoon. I found it to be a slightly sweet scent, quite a lot more 'woody' than the Taylor's Sandalwood. Personally, I preferred it to the Taylor's. I'm not sure how highly it ranks in the larger scheme of aftershaves, as I have only tried two. However, if I had to buy a big bottle of either Taylor's or DR Harris, I'd have the Harris any day.

I guess it's just a case of horses for courses.

I really like DRH Sandalwood, as much for it's effect on my skin as the scent.

I use damp/wet hands add a splash of AS and lightly rub hands together to spread, then apply to damp/wet face.

AS - I pour a very generous amount in my palm, then splash onto dry face.

Ideally I let it get absorbed for few minutes, then apply ASB or creme.

With heavier cremes (e.g. Creme de La Mer), I put a moderate amount in my left index finger, rub it there with my right index finger (to let the ingredients surface and start 'working'.
I then put the creme with my right index finger onto face in spots, followed by pat onto face with both palms.

With softer AS cremes (e.g. Nivea), I apply like an ASB.

Fido said:
With after shave, I always aim to use more rather than less. Tip what you need into the palm of one hand, rub your two hands together then plaster your face and neck. I like to finish shaving with a cold rinse, dab with a towel then immediately apply after shave onto a damp face. Makes it easier to apply after shave, and over a slightly damp face it tends to go further -. it sort of dilutes your A/S

As above for me.

After watching a mantic clip at T&H, I mix my AS (Not balm) with the cold water. I put a little cold water in the basin, a few drops of AS, the face towel/flannel and apply the cold water/AS mix to face in a similar way to a hot flannel. I find this works well and is less likely to dry your face in the same way that applying AS neat can. Only thing is, you will get through more AS.

Back
Top Bottom