Anything smell of Imperial Leather?

I've always loved the smell of Imperial Leather soap, manly and fresh!

Is there any after shave or cologne that is close to it in smell?? To be the Tabac soap smells very similar but that AS doesn't!

Trumper's Spanish Leather - it's got a soapy smell.

Try before you buy though - Geo F Trumpers do samples.

yes I saw that vintage splash - don;t like the price though!!

Also they do an imperial leather in Aus but shipping puts it way out of the equation.

joe mcclaine said:
Trumper's Spanish Leather - it's got a soapy smell.

Try before you buy though - Geo F Trumpers do samples.

The GFT Spanish Leather is well worth a try, one of my favourites, it's similar but a lot stronger than Imperial Leather. I think Truefitt also do a Spanish Leather but I've never tried it. Try to get some samples?

It comes from the way the hides were originally treated in the different countries. In Spain oils of rose, verbena, sandalwood, clove and vanilla were rubbed into the leather to cure it. This gave the leather a particular smell which lasted with it, and that smell became known as the Spanish Leather scent, or Peau d' Espagne.

In England we tended to cure leather with either oil of cloves or brine (heavily salted water used to preserve meat and fish), over the years floral waters were added to the English brine to scent it, and English Leather can now really mean any scent that is woody and or green, but the Spanish Leather is a particular scent which varies a little from maker to maker.

Professor Blighty said:
In England we tended to cure leather with either oil of cloves or brine (heavily salted water used to preserve meat and fish), over the years floral waters were added to the English brine to scent it, and English Leather can now really mean any scent that is woody and or green, but the Spanish Leather is a particular scent which varies a little from maker to maker.

In mediaeval times they used turds (human, dog, cow) and urine... hence tanners being "quite unpopular" with their neighbours.

Nottingham's caves can boast Britain's only surviving underground medieval tannery. The Marsh area of the city was renowned for its tanneries and by 1667 there were 47 here. Tanning is the process by which animal skins are preserved and made usable as leather. This required large quantities of dung and urine, which produced a smell so foul as to repel even the rats. The absence of rodents resulted in few cases of the plague and consequently many wealthy folk chose to live nearby in spite of the awful stench.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/heritage/england/nottingham/article_3.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/heritage/ ... le_3.shtml</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom