Anyone know what I have bought

I don’t have an open comb razor, bought this head on Amazon as it said open comb, but one side seems to be open and the other closed, am I right? Cheap as chips but gives a good shave.

Attachments

• A11CBF7A-411B-4AFB-8012-08826D75CCC5.jpeg
    A11CBF7A-411B-4AFB-8012-08826D75CCC5.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 12
  • F22CDD3C-70D9-4E28-A744-8BC8313DD50C.jpeg
    F22CDD3C-70D9-4E28-A744-8BC8313DD50C.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 12
  • 9770A89B-1C57-4253-A796-2D4AF19E6CAD.jpeg
    9770A89B-1C57-4253-A796-2D4AF19E6CAD.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 14
Found something similar in the Fendrihan Full Stainless steel open-closed comb. Not experienced it personally but looks interesting if you want both options in one.

And would answer my idle wondering of how to keep track of which side of the DE I've used when I'm not paying attention!

There are a good number of this type of razor to be found from Chinese vendors. Probably the most well known is from Yaqi, called a Flipside. If you like it and like the shaves it gives, great! Carry on! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a good shave from cheap.

Have fun!
Yes what Paul said , I have had a Yaqi Beast and it is excellent.

There are a good number of this type of razor to be found from Chinese vendors. Probably the most well known is from Yaqi, called a Flipside. If you like it and like the shaves it gives, great! Carry on! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a good shave from cheap.

Have fun!
Thanks, that sounds about right, haven’t found which side gives closest shave yet but not bad overall

To be frank, neither is likely to be more than the other ...
Open combs are good for folks with longer stubble. Infrequent shavers. You can shave without the open comb clogging as easily.
I've got a couple of the old Ikon/Shavecraft versions, which I bought expecting the OC side to perform better as a daily shaver, but quickly discovered that the SB side did a far better job instead. I'm not sure how much of it may be perception, psychology or technique, as I find a similar thing with two-gap razors like the modern Seygus Zeppelin and the + / - Gibbs, where, for me, the "mild" side shaves closer than the "aggressive".

I seem to remember a thread on here which mentioned some people using a DE without the bottom plate at all, for maximum blade exposure. Just the top cap and blade. Got to be the most aggressive DE experience! o_O

I seem to remember a thread on here which mentioned some people using a DE without the bottom plate at all, for maximum blade exposure. Just the top cap and blade. Got to be the most aggressive DE experience! o_O
We used to call those DEvettes ... Shavette, but DE. Achieved by snapping/grinding the comb/guard off the razor. Apparently, when Gillette moved from the open comb to closed comb format, many folks found their new razors a bit too mild and so just snapped the guard off.

Back
Top Bottom