Anyone keep hens?

We're getting some chickens soon. Three or four to begin with and see how we go. I just wondered if anyone here keeps hens.

Perhaps I should have posted this in Food & Drink. Can't wait for all the lovely eggs!! :hungrig

Cool, I forgot you did. You have mentioned it before now I think about it. Go on then, hit me with some pearls of wisdom!

Nothing specific at this moment. I'll come back to this thread soon once things get going. I've got a coop on the way and, once I've added a bit of chicken wire to the garden we'll buy three or four hens.

Assuming the chicken wire is for a run, just make sure it is fox proof...certainly secure from above and preferably below ground.

Other than that they are easy to keep and fairly low maintenance. I would avoid giving them names, makes it easier when you have to crack a few vertibrate.

hunnymonster said:
I've got the RSPCA on speed dial in case there are any incidents :?

That's why I didn't ask about 'rearing' chickens. some of you chaps can read things in to the most innocent of comments. :roll:

I think HM means I may need to choke a chicken.

Bloody hell, this was supposed to be a serious thread, honest! Some of these yolks are egg-scruciating!! :shock: