Anyone into Fishing ?

Yes , I started during lockdown , I have a natural fishery just a short walk from the house .
Ide , Crucians , Perch , Roach , Bream etc .
Started with a Waggler rod and reel , now into pole fishing , just bought myself a 12.5 metre pole .
I don't catch a lot , last time I fished I was about 12 on the River Wye at Ross , now 46 years later it's all about the peace , tranquility and getting out the house .
It's another rabbit hole mind you , umbrellas, seat boxes , bags , landing nets , keep nets etc .

I fished from being a lad up until about 8 years ago, I prefered sea fishing, boat, coastal and pier, I also liked a bit trout fishing with fly and ledger.
Work got in the way.
I may get back into it when life gets a bit more sedate. I still have all my gear in storage.;)

I fly fish. Mainly in medium-size rivers for trout and small mouth bass. I am only catch and release. I used to spin-cast fish, but I find fly fishing much more satisfying and challenging.

I grew up in a small town with tons of small ponds & lakes in the area and fished as a youth, but gave it up after university. I loved it. However, I mainly loved the excitement of finding a new body of water (after asking permission if needed) and fishing. Explorer gene I guess. Although I loved catching them, my father had instilled in me a love of the outdoors and just being in the wild and at peace with Nature was very calming. He was a lifelong hunter and raised/trained his own quail (Bobwhite) dogs. He's long gone, but I recall mostly the good times of my youth when we fished & hunted together. Funny thing is, I live now 20 mins. from the ocean and have zero interest in saltwater fishing. :unsure:

My dad introduced me initially to carp fishing. Then I moved to Florida and learned to fish saltwater. Mainly snook, redfish and sea trout. 8 years ago I moved to Ireland and now I fish for salmon, rainbow trout and mackerel. I use spinning, worms and prawns.
When in Florida I would often fly fish in saltwater. I still have my rod for that, but it is a bit big for salmon and trout. Plus I lost all my flies one day and haven't restocked...

Hugely into fly-fishing for trout and salmon- in fact I travel the world for it! Has taken me to some awesome places.

I started my life coarse fishing on a canal with my dad with a float and maggots, and then moved on to carp fishing for about 10 years. My most special carp was an 'original' from an old pit lake called the 'Black Mirror' at 33lb. I'll never forget it, special moment. Used to spend many nights at the side of lakes in a bivvy reading beat up copies of Carpworld.

Back
Top Bottom