Anyone Heard of These??

Hi all,just wondered if anyone has heard of these makes before I decide to buy of a pal.I'm quite new to this Real Man Shaving/Art so any advice would be welcome.

Razor 1)golden beehive

Razor 2)Kirschner Solingen

Razor 3)1A Silberstahl Garantie Solingen

I'm no detective here but the last two are definately german :mrgreen:

Okay.....so i've since found out that the golden beehive was made by marples and co and was made between the early eighteen hundreds and early nineteen hundreds.....it is in great condition and I know that they are now a maker of chisels and joinery tools.......anyway long story short I had to have it £20.00 no questions asked......is this good?

Marples of Sheffield had a Beehive logo and made razors. Founded in 1901 by Alfred Marples, a razor-grinder. First called "Alfred Marples & Co" then "Marples & Co" before WW1. The Beehive trade mark dates to 1911 - it belonged to another company (Slater Bros) before this time. Marples operated out of the Beehive Works in Mary Street Sheffield. Also made the "Warmer" brand razors. So not made before 1911 - this part of the firm ceased trading in the 1920s. £20 sounds like a steal!

Julius Kirschner & Sohn may be the makers of the other razor. The made and ground knives and other edged implements and the company was founded in 1878. Still operating as a cutlery and knife manufacturer.

The Garantie Solingen could have been made by any of the Solingen makers. 'Garantie' simply means guaranteed or warranted - it is not a makers name. It is also a 'silver steel' razor - since the early days of true silver-steel (invented by Faraday in 1824 - it did contain a small percentage of silver - he got Sandersons of Sheffield to make it into ingots to give to various razor makers like Rhodes of Sheffield) the alloy has had no silver content at all - it is just a bright, hard carbon tool-steel.

Regards,
Neil

Wow,you know your stuff.....My mate wants a little bit more for the other ones but I don't know what a reasonable/safe price to haggle him to (if need be) they are all in great shape.what kind of price do you think i should offer him?

OK so what one of the razors actually says is 1A or La Silberstahl Garantie Solingen on it? any ideas?

Value is impossible to hazard a guess at without seeing the razors. The Garantie razors are nearly always great shavers in my experience - some are terrific.

Regards,
Neil

Oh man It's at times like these i wish i had a digital camera....all i can say is that they both look like they just walked right out of the factory.

I guess i'll have to just make a dicision and stick with it......I'll offer him £30 for the Silberstahl and see what he says....cos he's wanting £50.....here goes...... ;)

Aww he's really busting my bo**ocks over this (he knows i want it)he won't budge below £40 is it a worthwhile investment??? Hmmmm??

lol...ok....so In the end i told him i wasn't interested as it was too much....ten minutes later phone rings and he says he'll take £30 for it.... :lol: Happy as a pig in doo- doo's but wish i had said £25 now...lol. If I can get a lend of a camera i'll take some photo's and post them so y'all can see what they're like.

Back
Top Bottom