anyone got a water filter? noob needs help pls :)

D

Deleted member 12673

hey people so i really want to start drinking more water now i dont know anything about water filters so im a total noob,
but i was wondering are these water filters legit? as in really good or gimmicky?

also which ones would you recommend?

ive got some health problems and one thing ive learnt about myself is thats ive got a serious addiction to fizzy drinks, anything sugary and also meat,
now i've noticed if i go a few days without fizzy drinks, sugary stuff and even meat believe it or not i get very irritable and it actually effects my mood

I knew nothing about water filters untill I put in some time on the internet and did a lot of research and after many hours I found a water filtering system that would work for me.
There are lots of systems for filtering water and you need to look into all of them as I did before your make any rash decisions because some are not cheap.

Paul.

i guess it all depends on where you live as to how much filtration you need.
Personally speaking i’m from Scotland and the water is very good.
infact i wouldn’t really consider one myself.
I know a lot of parts of England have heavy lime scale problems
It's not just lime scale that some of these filtration systems will filter out, some will deal with lots of nasty chemicals and heavy metals too.

Paul.

Because I live in the Thames Valley where the water is very hard, like 350ppm, and have a proper espresso setup, I actually need to use Reverse Osmosis to prevent my machine scaling up (the design of which makes descaling a major dismantling exercise, not just pouring descaler in).

Most 'under the sink' RO systems can waste 5l water to get one litre of filtered. However, I bought a thing that sits on the counter and filters on the go, from a 5l tank, of which 1 litre gets discarded for every 4 filtered.

It also replaces the kettle as you can choose cold, 65°C, 85°C and boiling.

This system reduces the hardness to about 10% of input water hardness, so much so that you can put a mineral block in it to actually put a little bit back. It pulls out all the chlorine and everything else. My Mrs drinks plain tap water a lot and she loves the water it produces. I don't much like still water but it tastes much better to me too. My coffee machine also shows no signs of scaling.

I also like fizzy drinks, but not the mega sugary kind. OK, I love full fat Coke but don't drink it much. I take water from the Osmio Zero and use a £50 Sodastream from Robert Dyas to fizz it, then drink it either as sparkling water or with orange juice mixed in.

The Osmio Zero was nearly £400 mind you. For my requirement I would buy another in a heartbeat, as it's saved me a fortune in bottled water and/or espresso machine repairs. Also saved lots of plastic bottle waste.

Depending on your needs it will be just the ticket, or complete overkill. With espresso gear you can't just use a Brita jug, but if just for drinking, you probably can.

I don't have one but am thinking about getting one for removing chlorine for my home brew as I can smell it when the tap is running fast. It will make a better brew.
which brands you looked at so far?

someone i know was saying the amazon ones are meant to be good but i dont know how easy it is to get the filters for them or if you can use any other branded ones in them too

which brands you looked at so far?

someone i know was saying the amazon ones are meant to be good but i dont know how easy it is to get the filters for them or if you can use any other branded ones in them too
Have a look at screwfix, there should be a branch close to you they have BWT filters they seem ok and filters are widely available . Was a plumber in a past life so I would adapt them from the clamp fitting ( it clamps the pipe then pierces it ) to soldered fit.

hey people so i really want to start drinking more water now i dont know anything about water filters so im a total noob,
but i was wondering are these water filters legit? as in really good or gimmicky?

also which ones would you recommend?

ive got some health problems and one thing ive learnt about myself is thats ive got a serious addiction to fizzy drinks, anything sugary and also meat,
now i've noticed if i go a few days without fizzy drinks, sugary stuff and even meat believe it or not i get very irritable and it actually effects my mood

You can spend £30 or £300+...if you're just getting into it you could go for a water jug filtation system like Brita but the filters are a monthly outlay. I've had a type of carbon cartridge filter system plumbed in for years, once you've installed the kit the cartidges are relatively cheap as they only need replacing every six months to a year depending on use and can be had for a well under a tenner. The first thing you notice is the lack of chlorine taint that you can get tap water, heavy metal removal depends on the type of filter/system.

You can get cartridge refills elsewhere for less and you don't need any plumbing experience, just access to a cold feed pipe as the kit comes with a self piercing valve.

Just noticed these "high performance" filter systems, UK drinking water is actually pretty good especially compared to parts of the U.S.

Everything is killed by chlorine.

The Osmio Zero was nearly £400 mind you. For my requirement I would buy another in a heartbeat, as it's saved me a fortune in bottled water and/or espresso machine repairs. Also saved lots of plastic bottle waste.

Depending on your needs it will be just the ticket, or complete overkill. With espresso gear you can't just use a Brita jug, but if just for drinking, you probably can.

Looks and sounds impressive, does the unit itself require much maintenence?

Back
Top Bottom