Anybody remember Rhino?

ACtC-3eiYA2reX53VvqT1rD3jjIsY-RM-AcEPsnGiOmdor05X3m0d0-X9G7FUtSz5xMITDEgmpVXrs4v2eaEgI-mbCTCYs79qB12AGw6ahM0JbHvFV-xjg7mPdMEKSNoYVusWfL3oL2DwVDvdOgVIMg2jTsWNQ=w1200

I last used one of these blades back in 2016 and noted: "Not a nick, click or weeper ... just four truly excellent single pass shaves, smooth as she goes!"

I also posted my enjoyment on another forum where I said: "When I google them, I find all sorts of "Gillette Rhino" references. I've also found a pre-packed plastic razor and blades, akin to the Indian Permasharp or Thai Superclick. I wonder if they are indeed Gillette ... if so, which?"

... which does not bear fruit today. In fact, I cannot find a single reference to this blade other than my own wafflings on that forum. The blade is clearly a thing as you can see it in the picture. I have no idea where I got it and by the time I used it, it would appear to have been all but forgotten. Now, lost forever? While it is most likely true that we've had some sort of temporal/reality flip in the last two or three years, I'm here in this reality and still have memory of that reality ... anyone else?

There was a good thread on B&B recently which mentioned them.

My recollection was that this was a 10/10 shave and not something I'd experienced since ... until trying the new Super Gillette Blue.

The B&B thread says the Rhino blades are produced in the same factory.

There are some other MIC blades which are supposed to be pretty good, eg MingShi, YingJili, Rimei. I used a few Rimei Platinums or Stainless which were very good blades. I can't say for certain but I I think there's a chance the YingJili ones are made in the same factory, and the Rimei ones I used seemed to be quite similar to the MIC Gillette I have used.

My recollection at the time was this it was indeed akin to the Super Thin that I'd tried but somehow a lot better. It most definitely had that "Wow!" factor that made it stand out. I wonder if this was a proto-Super Blue? That said, the Super Blue blade specifically references the Shanghai China plant ("Shanghai China Super Stainless") where these Rhinos look more plebian with a simple "Stainless Steel".

Cheers! I have found an online seller ... but it's $10 for 10. Or is that 10 packs. 10 packs of what? 5?

The Chinese says "1 box of 5 pieces" and pictures 10 pieces ... and the price says "10 pieces" ... or 15, 20, 50, 80 to 100. Pieces. It does rather read like "pieces" means blades rather than boxes.

If I could sell the empties for $3 a go, I'd be "quids in" ... well, "dollars in", but I suspect that is a VERY limited market.

Cheers! I have found an online seller ... but it's $10 for 10. Or is that 10 packs. 10 packs of what? 5?

The Chinese says "1 box of 5 pieces" and pictures 10 pieces ... and the price says "10 pieces" ... or 15, 20, 50, 80 to 100. Pieces. It does rather read like "pieces" means blades rather than boxes.

If I could sell the empties for $3 a go, I'd be "quids in" ... well, "dollars in", but I suspect that is a VERY limited market.

It's probably $10 for 10 blades.

I'd be wary of buying from a random Chinese website as well.

I wonder if @SeanC has any insight of these blades, he seems to be able to source obscure blades.

I remember buying 100 loose of these blades for very little money, forgot all about them until I saw this thread. I remember not liking them but someone on here was a fan of them, can't for the life of me remember who, so I posted them out to him. Few years ago now though.

Back
Top Bottom