Any users of the New Ikons?

Hi Folks
I am currently going through a RAD phase. Has anyone bought a new Ikon razor recently? I fancy one of the high polish Bulldog handle versions.......but want to have an idea of the additional costs which will undoubtedly be demanded due to tax and Post Office charges.

Brian

Ive seen them and have been eying em up myself, but like you last thing i want to do is buy a lemon and get hit by the charges for import as well.

Im Fairly sure Ikon are out of favour at that other shaving site - but as we all know , thats not hard to do.
Anyone actually used one?

i don't know about the new Razors etc etc, i bought one end of 2009, it is slighlty aggresive but a very solid very well made and lovely looking Razor, Greg was first class with the service he provided, and he declared it "in my favour" on the customs paperwork so that there were no charges to sting me this end, it took 12 days to come from Thailand.

They are only given SOME poor feed back on another well known shaving site becase one of the members who just happens to be "in" with the mods makes stainless steel razors and as we know competition like that is frowned upon !!! especially if rumour has it that the Ikon razors are far better quality...and cheaper !

Here is a pic of the the type i got from Greg last year...

iKon-double-edged-safety-razor.jpg

sunburyboy93 said:
i don't know about the new Razors etc etc, i bought one end of 2009, it is slighlty aggresive but a very solid very well made and lovely looking Razor, Greg was first class with the service he provided, and he declared it "in my favour" on the customs paperwork so that there were no charges to sting me this end, it took 12 days to come from Thailand.

They are only given SOME poor feed back on another well known shaving site becase one of the members who just happens to be "in" with the mods makes stainless steel razors and as we know competition like that is frowned upon !!! especially if rumour has it that the Ikon razors are far better quality...and cheaper !

Here is a pic of the the type i got from Greg last year...

iKon-double-edged-safety-razor.jpg

Your description of the political issue is spot on, reading through (if you can) posts from people who have purchased these razors have all been favourable if it helps.

Please keep the comments coming.....even though I will end up answering my own question :cry:
SMF members give them glowing reports so I pulled the trigger. Word of warning though....the Sterling price on the Ikon website bears absolutely no comparison to the price when paying by Paypal :evil:
The prices have just gone up from $65 to $80. When you click on GB£ pricing.....the website shows a cost of £42ish with postage of £4.

However.......with the Paypal conversion......I was charged £58. I suspect the GB£ price was not raised in line with the US$ price increase.I ordered the iKon Deluxe Bulldog Razor High Polish.

Brian

I bought one about the same time as Sunbury. Beautiful peice of kit. However I had to return as the blade gap was all over the place. Greg refunded all my money including shipping. I am considering getting another.

I have the latest iKon Deluxe Bulldog OC. Improved over the original 3 pin design the new one has even blade exposure and shaves very very good. Heavy at 100 grams and highly polished. The grip due to the knurling is excellent. I notice the price has jumped to $80 but well worth it compared to a Pils or Feather stainless. Please understand nothing against Pils or Feather but they are a little pricey.

My Ikon Bulldog Hi Polish arrived today. No nasty import charges and the razor looks great. One week for delivery from Tailand and a pack of Lord super stainless blades included.

very pleased :D

Brian

My high polish Bulldog Delux landed yesterday. Beautifully crafted ,well finished and with a good heft to it. I have only used it once ,initial resaults are very promising, a fine close shave was had ,no nicks,razor burn.

Arrived within a week,no import charge and a pack of lord blades thrown in for good measure ......cheers Greg.

Looking forward to growing even older with this one...........plus one or more of course :roll:

I have an iKon Bulldog Open Comb and it is easily one of the best shavers I've used... At $65 it was a killer deal when compared to the Feather and PILS - at $80, I'd say its still a decent deal for a "premium" razor experience. I also have the PILS, and while I quite enjoy it, there are issues with rust - which at this price level is completely unacceptable. Emails to PILS so far have remained unanswered... also not acceptable.

I am working my way through all my blades at the moment.....same razor......the Bulldog deluxe High polish. I have tried Tesco, Iridium and Durasharp. Still have a few more to try, but the Durasharps are looking very good at the moment. I may be shipping out a LOT of razors!!!! Absolutely love this iKon. :D

Brian

I have just come across this posting looking for a review on a Feather razor. I purchased the brushed stainless steel standard head with the bulldog handle from Greg Khan. It arrived 10 days after ordering from Thailand with no import duties to pay. I started DE shaving just over 3 weeks ago starting with the HD Merkur 34C a great razor to start with, then saw the iKon as my research gathered pace, ordered it then had reservations, thinking I had jumped the gun knowing nothing really about DE shaving.
Then before the iKon arrived, I know it only took 10 days to arrive I had also ordered An Edward Jagger DE87. All I will say is since the iKon arrived it is the only razor I have used. The Merkur was used for about 12 days then the iKon was delivered loved it, used the Jagger once when it arrived about 4 days after the iKon..
There is something about the iKon that sets it apart from the other two razors, I know the Jagger is well finished and the Merkur is well made. However the iKon for me just has it all, along with a nice smooth shave including 2 shaves with a feather blade. The head although brushed stainless steel has a mirror finish on the underside with iKon I believe laser etched into it, along with a beautifully finished handle. All I can say I am loving using this razor every day and have no regrets whatsoever buying it.

I agree entirely. I seldom use my Merkur razors now. Th Ikon gives a great shave with almost every blade. In fact I have Ikon-ified my other 3 piece razors by buying additional Bulldog and Long handles. The new EJ head is actually a very good partner to the bulldog handle.

Back
Top Bottom