Any snuff users on TSR?

I went through a snuff phase a few years ago, tried quite a few different ones. I ended up just using Viking dark, if you're after a strong, moist snuff, Viking dark is your man. It was my favourite by a mile, although I was quite partial to mcchrystals original.
Hi, I received my 250g drum of Viking Dark today and it is everything you said it was, thanks for the enabling! :)

Paul.

Can you tell me why you like that's brand and is there any particular one in the Fribourg & Treyer range? Thanks.

Paul.
Off all the ones I tried (around 700 different ones in 50 years) F&B gives me the nicest smelling experience and a good kick without it being overpowering (for that I have some Red Rooster o_O).
I have all of them around
Bordeaux: Geranium Bourbon, Rose and Sandalwood
Macouba: Rose and Sandalwood, pure Attar of Roses
Princes: secret flavours and Geranium Bourbon
Dr JR Justice: a blend of Morlaix and Bordeaux
Morlaix: from Zimbabwe Flue Cured Stem, Dark Fired and Sun Cured Leaf tobaccos
Princes special: Musk, Rose, Tonquin, Geranium Bourbon, Sandalwood Oil and Rose De-Orient
French carotte: sandalwood oil and french carotte essence
Old Paris: A blend of Virginia, Stem and Dark Fired leaf with the added flavour of Arac. This blend, has a unique wine-like quality of maturing during storage (one of my most beloved)
Santa domingo: Violet and Cedar
High Dry T: Superfine and almost powdery in mill, it has a strange nutty flavour of deceptive strength
Patch: authentic Patchouli.
Seville: delicate Orange character of its perfume brings to mind the sunlit groves and quaint architecture of that ancient Moorish city

Off all the ones I tried (around 700 different ones in 50 years) F&B gives me the nicest smelling experience and a good kick without it being overpowering (for that I have some Red Rooster o_O).
I have all of them around
Bordeaux: Geranium Bourbon, Rose and Sandalwood
Macouba: Rose and Sandalwood, pure Attar of Roses
Princes: secret flavours and Geranium Bourbon
Dr JR Justice: a blend of Morlaix and Bordeaux
Morlaix: from Zimbabwe Flue Cured Stem, Dark Fired and Sun Cured Leaf tobaccos
Princes special: Musk, Rose, Tonquin, Geranium Bourbon, Sandalwood Oil and Rose De-Orient
French carotte: sandalwood oil and french carotte essence
Old Paris: A blend of Virginia, Stem and Dark Fired leaf with the added flavour of Arac. This blend, has a unique wine-like quality of maturing during storage (one of my most beloved)
Santa domingo: Violet and Cedar
High Dry T: Superfine and almost powdery in mill, it has a strange nutty flavour of deceptive strength
Patch: authentic Patchouli.
Seville: delicate Orange character of its perfume brings to mind the sunlit groves and quaint architecture of that ancient Moorish city
Thank you for your response, I will in time check some of these out. :)

Paul.

I thought I'd have a look through the stocks, and report back.

Gawith-Kendal Brown and Princes Gold

Wilsons of Sharrow

-Jockey Club
-Queens
-Grand Cairo
-Royal George
-French Carotte
-Best SP
-Extra Crumbs of Comfort

and McChrystals Original

I also have two or three glass jars of SP and other snuff from Smith's in Charing Cross Road, London, which was near my office. They're more than 40 years old, and time hasn't served them well.

As I like to "turn and turn about" with snuffs, each has its own pleasures, but, for a strong dark snuff, the Kendal Brown is good.

I used to frequent the Fribourg & Treyer shop in the Haymarket for tobacco and a particular briar pipe, their "Cutty" model, of which I was forever snapping the thin stems. Latterly, I also like the F&T brand snuffs, my favourites being Old Paris, their version of Kendal Brown, and Santo Domingo.

At one time, I was in the business of running computers, which in those days meant large air-conditioned machine rooms-smoking forbidden. I mostly smoked a pipe and cigars, but eventually got fed up with relighting the dottle and stubs time and again, every time I went from my office to machine room. My smoking went down, and the snufftaking went up.

I thought I'd have a look through the stocks, and report back.

Gawith-Kendal Brown and Princes Gold

Wilsons of Sharrow

-Jockey Club
-Queens
-Grand Cairo
-Royal George
-French Carotte
-Best SP
-Extra Crumbs of Comfort

and McChrystals Original

I also have two or three glass jars of SP and other snuff from Smith's in Charing Cross Road, London, which was near my office. They're more than 40 years old, and time hasn't served them well.

As I like to "turn and turn about" with snuffs, each has its own pleasures, but, for a strong dark snuff, the Kendal Brown is good.

I used to frequent the Fribourg & Treyer shop in the Haymarket for tobacco and a particular briar pipe, their "Cutty" model, of which I was forever snapping the thin stems. Latterly, I also like the F&T brand snuffs, my favourites being Old Paris, their version of Kendal Brown, and Santo Domingo.

At one time, I was in the business of running computers, which in those days meant large air-conditioned machine rooms-smoking forbidden. I mostly smoked a pipe and cigars, but eventually got fed up with relighting the dottle and stubs time and again, every time I went from my office to machine room. My smoking went down, and the snufftaking went up.
Kendal Brown is now on my to try list, thank you for posting.

Paul.

Kendal Brown is now on my to try list, thank you for posting.

Paul.
You're very welcome.

I dug out the old Smiths snuffs, which are Otterburn, Spanish and Sandalwood, and tried them. The Spanish has lost its aroma, but the Otterburn is still quite good. The Sandalwood is something else entirely! It's roughly equivalent to sticking a burning joss stick in the proboscis, and reminds me of the 60's. If I once enjoyed that aroma at close range, I think I might, now, have grown out of it.

Peter

You're very welcome.

I dug out the old Smiths snuffs, which are Otterburn, Spanish and Sandalwood, and tried them. The Spanish has lost its aroma, but the Otterburn is still quite good. The Sandalwood is something else entirely! It's roughly equivalent to sticking a burning joss stick in the proboscis, and reminds me of the 60's. If I once enjoyed that aroma at close range, I think I might, now, have grown out of it.

Peter
I'm pleased to hear that your Otterburn snuff has stood the test of time, a shame about the other two but after that length of time it's not altogether surprising.

Paul.

A nice collection of boxes you have there.
I have ordered a coin snuff pot from eBay, it is made up from two 1965 Churchill Coins that have been formed into a dome on each side of the pot and a brass ring in the middle with a screw thread, 65 being my birth year makes it special too.

Paul.

A nice collection of boxes you have there.
I have ordered a coin snuff pot from eBay, it is made up from two 1965 Churchill Coins that have been formed into a dome on each side of the pot and a brass ring in the middle with a screw thread, 65 being my birth year makes it special too.

Paul.
That sounds a nice box, and an ingenious design, which shouldn't spill out snuff in your pocket; something that most of the hinged lid ones seem to do. Handsome coins, and serendipitously dated for you as well.

When the Churchill crowns came out, I somehow managed to accumulate several. At the time, there was something in an antique shop I wanted, and, not having any "regular" Lsd, I bought it with two or three Churchills, which were, of course, bona-fide currency.

That sounds a nice box, and an ingenious design, which shouldn't spill out snuff in your pocket; something that most of the hinged lid ones seem to do. Handsome coins, and serendipitously dated for you as well.

When the Churchill crowns came out, I somehow managed to accumulate several. At the time, there was something in an antique shop I wanted, and, not having any "regular" Lsd, I bought it with two or three Churchills, which were, of course, bona-fide currency.
Interesting, what was the face value of each coin?

Paul.

Interesting, what was the face value of each coin?

Paul.
They are crowns, a coin which had gone from general use before WW2, and thereafter have been minted as commemorative coins. The nearest silver coin in use in '65 was a half-crown, old value 2/6 (old - two shillings and sixpence), or modern 12 1/2 p (2 x 5p and a half of 5p). The face value of the Churchill is therefore twice that i.e. 5/- (old-five shillings) or new, 25p.

They are crowns, a coin which had gone from general use before WW2, and thereafter have been minted as commemorative coins. The nearest silver coin in use in '65 was a half-crown, old value 2/6 (old - two shillings and sixpence), or modern 12 1/2 p (2 x 5p and a half of 5p). The face value of the Churchill is therefore twice that i.e. 5/- (old-five shillings) or new, 25p.
Thank you, not as much as I had thought for chunky coin like that, modern coinage is so lightweight in comparison.

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom