Any plasterers on here?

Evening all,

Just wondering if there are any plasterers on here I could get some advice from?

I’ve had some plastering done in my house, and it has not come out well. I went with someone recommend to me, who came and skimmed my living room walls. He did 2 walls and the chimney breast and said that it was going off too quickly, and would have to return another day to do the rest. He did return to do the rest of the room at a later date.

the original walls he did have crazed and cracked as they dried. I’m not 100% sure if this was because they dried out too quickly, or if they weren’t prepped properly. As I wasn’t watching over him the whole time (understandably), I don’t know exactly what he did but know he PVA’d before skimming the walls. I don’t know if he did two coats, one dried then the second tacky, he was only there a couple of hours before skimming and in that time fixed beading to the window reveals, chimney breast edges and bonded a few holes. I do know that he didn’t come the day before to PVA as I have seen recommended online. This could be part of the reason it has gone badly, I don’t know as I’m not a plasterer.

I basically need to get another plasterer to come and put these two walls right, as I don’t have a lot of confidence in the plasterer who did this. I don’t know if the walls can be meshed over entirely then skimmed again, if the crazed areas can be scrimmed and skimmed over, or if the skim coat needs to be removed and then reskimmed.

The walls before had the old skim coat on, and some areas required bonding before the new skim coat went on.

Trouble is I’m up against it time wise and could really do with some advice, as I need it done ASAP as I’m getting married in 4 weeks and wanted just one room done and decorated before my wedding so we have at least one room for photos to be taken in!

My previous plasterer wanted to just use easifill on the damaged areas, but to be honest I don’t want this, I wanted nice fresh skim coats so I can just paint the walls, I don’t want to have to line the walls before I paint them. I’ll attach some photos when I’m back home, or send some pictures via PM to anyone who can help.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom