Another Razor Plating Q

I quite fancy one of my techs in a black finish.
(Yes, like THIS ONE
Im not sure if brass can be anodised, or if its an option to get a black chrome type finish. Can any one suggest any ideas other than getting a rattle can of matt black from Halfrauds.

if you can wait a while I may be able to show you mine.
I have access to a chemical blacking kit and I have a slightly rough old comb razor.
I am planning on getting it blacked. Just hope it comes out as good as that photo.

Hi Guys
Ted, that Tech in your pic is a black lacquer finish. I have one and refinished it much the same way with a can of spray lacquer. Not sure how that's going to hold up. If you have any chrome plating companies (auto, motorcycle etc) give them a call about the black chrome or if they can do black nickel as well. I've been interested in that as well but so far no platers handy to where I live. Also look into "powder coating" which puts an extremely hard paintlike finish on metal. It's used on truck sidesteps etc over here.

Good luck.

I keep fancying having something done in black. My gilette could do with a replate and black chrome or nickel is most likely what is going on the brightwork on the car so it'd be a good "test"... Plus if it's black it'll match pretty much everything else I own!

Now its just the decision of chrome or nickel.

huck1680 said:
Also look into "powder coating" which puts an extremely hard paintlike finish on metal. It's used on truck sidesteps etc over here.

I rebuild classic bikes and have frames powder coated. I wouldn't recommend it for a razor, the finish is way too thick. Chrome/nickle plating is a very fine layer, coloured anodizing thinner still. If you want to go down the coloured finish route you could strip, polish then go for a coloured laquer.

Back
Top Bottom