Another Henk Custom

This completes my acquisitions from our three custom brush makers.

Worth explaining the process. I sent a dense 22x64 knot to Henk which I had purchased myself. I asked Henk to make the handle in wenge. Henk had some reservations about the suitability of wenge due to the characteristics of the grain. He suggested a faux ivory ring for the top of the handle - an excellent idea. I wanted a 50 mm handle in a style similar to one of my Plisson brushes and asked for the knot to be set at 52 mm subject to later confirmation on assessing it in place before completing the brush.

Here are pics of the brush before and after a couple of lengthy lathering sessions. The knot has bloomed nicely and performs as I expected. I have another fine all round brush. A custom brush is a great acquisition. It gives you the opportunity to make your own choices about all aspects of the brush. And you can rely on your brush maker to offer advice before deciding your detailed requirements.

As to the wenge - the grain does mean that it is difficult to get a completely smooth finish to varnish. But this is really a minor issue unless you are a total perfectionist and want a brush for display only. I want a pleasing robust brush that will do the job well. And I have yet another excellent option for my daily shave.

DSC_2169.jpg
DSC_2175.jpg

Lovely brush Peter, I like the shape.
It's well turned and the alt ivory is a nice touch.
Nice work Henk,,,(that would have been even better with a decent lathe ;))
regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom