Amazing Ever Ready 1914 Shave

- hot water soak
- T and H Almond Cream
- Ever Ready 1914 single edge razor
- Edwin Jagger pre shave to finish

This is by far the most aggressive razor I've used (and that includes the Micromatic). A WTG and 2 XTG passes were enough to give a BBS. I have to do an ATG pass to get so close with any other razor.

My skin was a bit tingly afterwards, but no real irritation. I got two very small nicks that only started bleeding after the shave. A cold water splash sorted them out. The EJ pre shave is an amazing post shave soother so I use a small amount of it.

I've been getting such good shaves with the little 1914. 12 hours on and my skin is still at DFS level. Honestly I can't think of anything that shaves so close. A 2 pass shave would be good enough for most days.

However it's not a razor for beginners. It has a tiny window for the correct shaving angle and it would be easy to shave the top layer off your skin. Get it right and it makes a wonderful sound as it mows down the stubble.

They are so cheap to buy everybody should try one!

I totally agree!!

I recently acquired an Ever Ready and took it for a test drive on Saturday. Holy Snappin' A**holes, Martha! Talk about a close shave!
I usually do 4 passes, but with this puppy, I stopped at 3, as I couldn't feel any stubble at that point. You are right about being VERY careful with this SE - I managed to get 4 nicks through lack of attention - sort of felt like my very first DE shave....

I was told it's a Lather Catcher, but not the full size one. If anyone recognizes this, please let me know

LatherCatcher-01-sm.jpg

LatherCatcher-02-sm.jpg

That's an Ever Ready lather catcher allright. Don't know about "full size". Some were designed to take the modern SE blades and others take the old wedge blades that must be stropped and honed.

Beautiful razor. I have a Gem Jr Bar (a later lather catcher) and that gives amazing shaves too. May be worth cleaning up that surface rust to get it looking really special.

Drroly said:
That's an Ever Ready lather catcher allright. Don't know about "full size". Some were designed to take the modern SE blades and others take the old wedge blades that must be stropped and honed.

Beautiful razor. I have a Gem Jr Bar (a later lather catcher) and that gives amazing shaves too. May be worth cleaning up that surface rust to get it looking really special.

Thanks. I've got a Micromatic that I've used a few times - great shaves as well.
What would you suggest to use to clean the rust with?

Impressed with your 'lather catcher' I've only gone back to 1912 with the SE's for concern that they wouldn't accept the modern SE blades. It would be great if we could come up with a list of pre1912's that use modern SE's .

I've used a product called "Duraglit" to remove light rust and lightly polish. Don't know if it's available outside the UK. you need to clean all polish off the razorbefore using it!

Ive heard soaking in White vinegar removes surface rust but never tried myself.

Although it's not a straight razor, it may be worth asking on the restoration forum.

Edit: Johnus - any info about useable blades would be a great addition to the knowledge base.

Back
Top Bottom