Alum block

Rub some water on the flat surface of the alum and then rub said alum on face. I rinse off after a few minutes, personally.

I'd also suggest grabbing yourself some witch hazel and/or aloe vera gel. Both are great for reducing redness and can be left on. I've not used alum in a long while and I feel better for it (subjective, different rules apply to different people).

I bought an alum block when I first started de shaving used it twice now it just sits in a draw , when I did use it i just rinsed my face at the end of the shave ran the alum block under the tap and rubbed it on my face and let it dry , also a good idea is to wrap an elastic band around the block so it doesn't slip out of your hand

Be aware that if you have applied the alum too liberally and don't rinse afterwards you run the risk of the " Blackadder Prince " look of applied whitewash ... so not cool !

JohnnyO. o/

@Roy - mostly to agree with the above. I used to use allum every shave but these days I don't unless I have been heavy handed, clumsy or have tried to shave quickly with the Cobra. I skip straight to the witch hazel. If I do reach for it - I apply it to a wet face and leave it for a few minutes as I tidy up around the sink - clean the brush, razor and put the soap away. Then wash it off well - first warm then cold water. Plenty of. Then onto the finishing touches. Each to their own. Hope this helps - cheers - I.

I use an alum block after the last pass of my shaves. It closes and disinfects all micro skin injuries and my skin likes it.
First I clean my face with cold water from all rests of lather, than I rub the alum block over all wet beard areas. I let it stay as long I have finished cleaning my shaving utensils and than I wash my face again with cold water and clean it from the alum. Last I dry my face dabbing with a towel and put some aftershave on.

Last edited: