Alternative brush

I hav3 a Connaught omega green, which is great but I’ll now going to try shaving everyday and as such the boar brush won’t always dry out between shaves (not a drama in the heat) any suggestions for an interim Brush? Thanks

Hi, you'll get as many suggestions as there are members. What do you look for in a brush? Do you want to try something different or stick to similar? For synthetic (which need no soaking or breaking in and which dry quickly) I really like my Yaqi Moka Express 24mm. Another boar? I've been pleased with my Semogue 820 with undyed knot and retro 'lucite' style handle. 16583869894208091743244884375911.jpg

Reactions: ATG
Just to add, you don't need a stand anyway. I will probably regret saying this as it's a hoary old chestnut that gets discussed ad nauseam but honestly you can stand your brush on the handle end and it'll dry just as well as upside down (which itself is a matter of perspective!). I squeeze the knot, do a quick flick to get a few more drops of water out, with the natural brushes I fluff the tips gently on a towel and stand them on end to dry. Some folk argue about stands but the general consensus seems to be that brush stands are an optional accessory rather than a requirement. I wouldn't have that as a factor in choosing a brush type, at least. YMMV
:popcorn

Just to add, you don't need a stand anyway. I will probably regret saying this as it's a hoary old chestnut that gets discussed ad nauseam but honestly you can stand your brush on the handle end and it'll dry just as well as upside down (which itself is a matter of perspective!). I squeeze the knot, do a quick flick to get a few more drops of water out, with the natural brushes I fluff the tips gently on a towel and stand them on end to dry. Some folk argue about stands but the general consensus seems to be that brush stands are an optional accessory rather than a requirement. I wouldn't have that as a factor in choosing a brush type, at least. YMMV
:popcorn

Agree. I never dry my brushes on a stand, but with knot up, by the windowsill (which is by a radiator), and even in the middle of winter, my brushes are dry the following day.

Connaught green was £25, feels ok to me around that region, although less is more ..

There are a number of great synths you can buy for that amount shipped within the UK. The PAA ones are very highly rated.

However, if you like the Omega boar bristle and want to add another boar brush the 10066 is an excellent brush, and is cheap at £5.40 at Connaught Shaving, you can use the rest of your budget for a Yaqi Sagrada Tuxedo from Aliexpress which will take a few weeks to ship, but it's worth it, it's a truly excellent brush.

No, those things might happen if your brush is perpetually wet (great argument for "n+1"!)

Due to airflow and/or capillary action brushes seem to dry well enough if used in rotation with another so that they get 24h to dry. Synthetic brushes are easier in this respect but not everyone likes them. Personally I like all my brushes, badger, boar and synths, but they do all feel different, which is part of the reason to have one or more of each!

Grab a couple of these, they're 24mm boars that will last for decades.

@Dickie , why not get yourself a boar, a badger, a horse and a Synthetic, four brushes and you can make your own mind up.
I like badger, silvertip the most so if you was asking me I would say get a Silvertip, other members will say get a Synthetic because that is their brush of choice, do you see where I'm going?
That's not to say the advice is wrong but bias tends to creep in when you're asked to recommend something.
Fill your boots, you only live once, live life to its fullest! :)

Paul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom