Air Fryer

Off the back of this thread, somewhere about page one or two, I ended up buying a slow cooker. Still haven't used the thing. Apparently you have to layer everything just so, and the stuff needs to be hot when it goes in, so I'm told. Well if I have to half cook it first I may as well just use the wok until its done, I'm really wondering whether Crock Pot is a crock of ****. From what I can tell, I have to get up ridiculously early to half make my dinner, but wait till evening to eat it? Doesn't work well with my schedule. Not sure I thought it through. I had the idea you could just bung in the ingredients for a stew the night before and it would be ready by lunchtime. Maybe I should have read the instructions before I ordered it. So far it's sat taking up about a quarter of my available prep space and is gathering dust. Hmm.

Off the back of this thread, somewhere about page one or two, I ended up buying a slow cooker. Still haven't used the thing. Apparently you have to layer everything just so, and the stuff needs to be hot when it goes in, so I'm told. Well if I have to half cook it first I may as well just use the wok until its done, I'm really wondering whether Crock Pot is a crock of ****. From what I can tell, I have to get up ridiculously early to half make my dinner, but wait till evening to eat it? Doesn't work well with my schedule. Not sure I thought it through. I had the idea you could just bung in the ingredients for a stew the night before and it would be ready by lunchtime. Maybe I should have read the instructions before I ordered it. So far it's sat taking up about a quarter of my available prep space and is gathering dust. Hmm.

My findings exactly! I used mine once and it was such a faff compared to using a casserole dish on the hob, I didn't bother again and donated it to the charity shop as it washed up as new and I still had the box. I suppose I could have chanced it and taken it back to the shop. I bought a large double-handled saute pan, which can be used on the hob and in the oven ... which can be set on a timer, so in effect, everything the slow-cooker promised.

I have a 10 or 15 year old Tefal 3 in 1. Slow cooker, rice cooker and steamer. I did use it for rice and making curries, but I haven't used it in years as I tend to just use a covered saucepan on the hob.

My findings exactly! I used mine once and it was such a faff compared to using a casserole dish on the hob, I didn't bother again and donated it to the charity shop as it washed up as new and I still had the box. I suppose I could have chanced it and taken it back to the shop. I bought a large double-handled saute pan, which can be used on the hob and in the oven ... which can be set on a timer, so in effect, everything the slow-cooker promised.
Since we got an Instant Pot we seldom use the crock pots,... we had five I think, got rid of some, still have two but one is really small. They're great for chili or soups.

Apparently you have to layer everything just so, and the stuff needs to be hot when it goes in, so I'm told.
Whatever you were told is false.

Put in whatever you want raw and let it cook for 6-8 hours.

You don't have to layer anything (unless the dish requires it), and certainly don't need to pre-cook anything.

Try a basic curry.
Use jar sauce if it's easier. Pop in raw chicken pieces, some raw onion and a jar of sauce. For the first time, keep an eye on it every few hours and add water if necessary (but unlikely).

We use ours all the time over winter for hearty meals.

Back
Top Bottom