Aftershave=Short Sharp Shock vs Moisturiser=Long Irritation

Still being a total newbie here, I thought I'd ask some advice regarding a problem I've had ever since I started shaving..

My routine consists of a shower or warm face wash with an alum application while I get my shaving gear sorted. The alum is then washed off and the later applied. Shaving with either a Mach 3 or, more recently, a DE I go WTG, ATG and XTG or WTG and XTG depending on how sensitive my skin feels prior to shaving. Post shave, I wash with cold water, apply alum again, allow to dry and then enter the region of quandry......Aftershave, EDT or Moisturiser.

When I apply moisturiser after washing off the alum, my face never reddens except around the neck area, but give me an itch irritated feeling for ages afterwards. When i apply aftershave or EDT, the stinging sensation is gone within a few seconds and there is no lasting irritated feeling, it does however redden my face for a while.

The moisturiser I use is the Real Shaving Co Daily Soothing Balm, and the EDT I'm currently using is Hugo.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any advice regarding whether I should persevere with the balm or continue using the EDT and 'short sharp shock' treatment?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Aftershave=Short Sharp Shock vs Moisturiser=Long Irrita

EDT is not aftershave... EDT is a perfume product, designed to smell not be used as an aftershave (unless it specifically says it's combination AS/EDT)

As for the Aftershave Lotion/Splash versus Balm/Moisturiser - I get breakouts if I use most balms or moisturisers - I don't with an aftershave lotion/splash so I use that.

Drop the alum, drop the against the grain and don't put EDT anywhere near freshly shaved skin.

See how that goes after a week or two fella, try only using either AS or ASB as well and see if it calms down.

Good luck.

Cheers for the responses so far guys, greatly appreciated.
Hunnymonster: I've always used EDT and AS in the same way, except one is sprayed and the other splashed. I never really gave it much thought as to individual purposes on account of them being the same fragrance. The result upon my face, post-shave, is identical.

Yellow Jim: Using the alum block prior to shaving was something I was taught by my old man back in the day, In my humble opinion, when I shave without it doesn't feel as close. Alum feels like it tightens the skin and provides me with a better skin surface to work with.

RB73: I'll give it a couple of weeks off the alum and EDT and hopefully give you an update :D

FuzzySteve said:
Hunnymonster: I've always used EDT and AS in the same way, except one is sprayed and the other splashed. I never really gave it much thought as to individual purposes on account of them being the same fragrance. The result upon my face, post-shave, is identical.

Typically an Aftershave will have glycerine and/or castor oil and/or allantoin in it - all of which are there to soothe the skin - none of them are ever present in EDT... perhaps you've been suffering all this time in vain?

RB73 said:
Drop the alum, drop the against the grain and don't put EDT anywhere near freshly shaved skin.

See how that goes after a week or two fella, try only using either AS or ASB as well and see if it calms down.

Good luck.

+1, except I wouldn't use AS just balm.

hunnymonster said:
FuzzySteve said:

Typically an Aftershave will have glycerine and/or castor oil and/or allantoin in it - all of which are there to soothe the skin - none of them are ever present in EDT... perhaps you've been suffering all this time in vain?

and there is typically a greater % of perfume oil in EDT which can also irritate. Pulse points only.

Agreed..stay away from alum block..try a low alcohol aftershave..don't put any pre shave oil..just a few splashes of cold water..before applying shave cream of course

B

Might be worth giving "Cutting Edge Razor Burn Repair" by Proraso a try, it's an ASB but with some soothing properties.

You have a lot of products involved in your routine. I would suggest that you get things back to the bare minimum.

Put the alum to one side for the time being, and simply wash your face, shave it and then apply EITHER an aftershave splash (NOT edc/edt) or aftershave balm. Don't worry about the closeness of the shave, but feel if it is more comfortable, especially post shave.

As others have said, edc or edt is not for your face or a freshly shaved neck.

Try that for a few days and see how you get on.

Ian

Thanks again to all those who've pointed me in the right direction regarding my shave routine. To be honest, my suffering and the rising cost of shaving coupled with the desire to find a better way to shave has lead me to The Shaving Room, and I couldn't be more grateful :D The knowledge base is phenomenal.

Couple of questions (which haven't been mentioned).

- Lather - what are you using? Do you experience "tugging" or catching of the hairs?
- Razor / Blades - what are you using, how frequently do you change them?

General pointers:

- Most irritation is caused by poor lather / blade angle / too much pressure / allergy.

As you said you get the same irritation with your Mach3 - points us to Lather or allergy / reaction to a product. Although I'm not ruling out technique at this point.

For a cheap good AS Balm, I highly recommend the Nivia AS Balm (or the sensitive version). They are usually £3.00 a throw, an are pretty good - available from any chemists.

As part of your post shave routine, can I suggest a warm water face wash (to clean off remaining residue) focusing on the neck. Followed by a cold wash.

Let me know the above queries - and good luck!

I can also say that i used to experience some long term discomfort when using balms and creams, and with some products i still do. My tips would be thus.

skip the alum pre shave, its just going to tighten your skin up and wont do any favours to the shave. Just have a good wash and then lather up with a good quality soap/cream (i prefer cream as i find it less drying, and thus less irritating on my neck area than soap)

I'd ensure you're using a good quality razor with decent blades that are relatively fresh (e.g. after 3-4 shaves, its time to move on)

i wouldnt go straight from a WTG to an ATG pattern. if you NEED to go ATG, i'd do its only after youve gone WTG and XTG first.

lastly, rinse off with cold water. if your easily irritated, post shave Alum probably wont help you either. I'd rinse off with cold water and give your face a few mins to settle. At that point what I normally do is splash on a little witch hazel. It doesnt sting like an aftershave, but does have antiseptic and soothing properties naturally. Once its soaked in, i apply a little non scented, non greasy moisturiser.

That routine saves me any irritation (and i used to suffer from LOTS)

BlkKnight said:
Couple of questions (which haven't been mentioned).

- Lather - what are you using? Do you experience "tugging" or catching of the hairs?
- Razor / Blades - what are you using, how frequently do you change them?

The lather is currently Edwin Jagger sandalwood cream, no tugging or catching of the hairs as I usually change the blade at the first sign of this. My blades for the Mach 3 are changed every five shaves, and it's my intention to change my DE blades after 3-4 shaves as suggested.

I also meant to add that the post-shave cold water wash has always been a part of my routine, which seems the only part of my routine that will be staying. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom