Aftershave/cologne suggestions please.

I am soon receiving some of Steve's wonderful Bay Rum and will be ordering some of Professor Blighty's rum & coconut aftershave next week (hope SWMBO won't notice another PayPal payment)

I love cinnamon, rum, coconut, spices, vanilla, ginger etc and find most shop scents (Hugo, Calvin etc) seem to evaporate on my skin and have no lasting scent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve's rum is an aftershave lotion so it's great on the skin and smells wonderful, but it won't hang around that long, it's a good thing in my book, and aftershave lotion shouldn't still be there by mid day. It's for the benfefit of your skin and a nice start to the day rather than being just a "scent" on its own.

Longer lasting as a scent in its own right and slightly comparable is Davidoff Adventure, it has coconut, some spices, vanilla, tobacco leaf... very exotic. I can even let you have a borrow if you want, I have a bottle that's not in daily use.

If you like those warm spicy notes you might like something like a "leather" cologne, like Spanish Leather from T+H or Trumpers. They're a tiny bit old fashioned for me but they sound like they might be your thing.

Just some suggestions.

Canuck said:
Steve's rum is an aftershave lotion so it's great on the skin and smells wonderful, but it won't hang around that long, it's a good thing in my book, and aftershave lotion shouldn't still be there by mid day. It's for the benfefit of your skin and a nice start to the day rather than being just a "scent" on its own.

Longer lasting as a scent in its own right and slightly comparable is Davidoff Adventure, it has coconut, some spices, vanilla, tobacco leaf... very exotic. I can even let you have a borrow if you want, I have a bottle that's not in daily use.

If you like those warm spicy notes you might like something like a "leather" cologne, like Spanish Leather from T+H or Trumpers. They're a tiny bit old fashioned for me but they sound like they might be your thing.

Just some suggestions.

Thanks Canuck, very kind offer and great advice. I will nip into Boots and sample the Davidoff Adventure.

joe mcclaine said:
Ogallala Bay Rum with Sandalwood, or with Limes and Peppercorns.

Dat's an option.

Thanks Joe, will check out the Ogalla varieties.

Eau De Baux by L'occitane

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Endymion by Penhaligons

all are rich and spicy, the l'occitane has nice vanilla notes and is sweet. I find all to be long lasting.

shrink said:
Eau De Baux by L'occitane

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Endymion by Penhaligons

all are rich and spicy, the l'occitane has nice vanilla notes and is sweet. I find all to be long lasting.

Thanks will check out Baux. Sounds right up my street.

Gigahurtz said:
I love cinnamon, rum, coconut, spices, vanilla, ginger etc and find most shop scents (Hugo, Calvin etc) seem to evaporate on my skin and have no lasting scent.

Hi there,

The Canuck's explanation of what an aftershave's designed to do is exactly right. You don't want that sticking around and maybe getting in the way of an EdT you might wanna use.

The process of finding a frag you like can take a while. Going into a well stocked store will help, since sniffing any juice is a great benefit compared to just reading about the stuff. You really can't go by the frag's description as any kinda sure thing that it'll be good for you. Yep, you have to try em yourself and see how it wears on you.

Now if you're serious about finding some items with those notes you like, I can offer a starting point in the right direction. It's a lot of trial and error and you gotta be motivated...heh.

First thing I'd do would be to take a look over at someplace like www.theperfumedcourt.com and check out the scents that have the notes you're looking for in em. There's various 'groups' of fragrances that you can read about such as 'woody', 'floral', oriental', 'gourmand' and lots more. Read the descriptions and pick out some that sound interesting. No, I'm not saying buy anything...at least not yet. I'm just saying use this site as a reference point for the moment.

From there, go over to www.basenotes.com and check out the reviews for those frags you chose. That's a great place (and another bottomless rabbit hole) for lots of excellent fragrance info. You can get crazy over there if you're not careful.

Always try to avoid buying blind and if that's the only way to do it, see if you can purchase a small sample first. You are gonna be amazed at how different many frags are from how you thought they'd be.

Martin

dodgy said:
Gigahurtz said:

Hi there,

The Canuck's explanation of what an aftershave's designed to do is exactly right. You don't want that sticking around and maybe getting in the way of an EdT you might wanna use.

The process of finding a frag you like can take a while. Going into a well stocked store will help, since sniffing any juice is a great benefit compared to just reading about the stuff. You really can't go by the frag's description as any kinda sure thing that it'll be good for you. Yep, you have to try em yourself and see how it wears on you.

Now if you're serious about finding some items with those notes you like, I can offer a starting point in the right direction. It's a lot of trial and error and you gotta be motivated...heh.

First thing I'd do would be to take a look over at someplace like www.theperfumedcourt.com and check out the scents that have the notes you're looking for in em. There's various 'groups' of fragrances that you can read about such as 'woody', 'floral', oriental', 'gourmand' and lots more. Read the descriptions and pick out some that sound interesting. No, I'm not saying buy anything...at least not yet. I'm just saying use this site as a reference point for the moment.

From there, go over to www.basenotes.com and check out the reviews for those frags you chose. That's a great place (and another bottomless rabbit hole) for lots of excellent fragrance info. You can get crazy over there if you're not careful.

Always try to avoid buying blind and if that's the only way to do it, see if you can purchase a small sample first. You are gonna be amazed at how different many frags are from how you thought they'd be.

Martin

More great advice, thanks guys.

One of the longest lasting aftershaves Ive discovered is 'Alt Innsbruck'.
Its not expensive, has a unique scent and its got staying power.
A great day wear AS, available from Connaught.
Don't go for the Balm though, its not the same.
regards, beejay

beejay said:
One of the longest lasting aftershaves Ive discovered is 'Alt Innsbruck'.
Its not expensive, has a unique scent and its got staying power.
A great day wear AS, available from Connaught.
Don't go for the Balm though, its not the same.
regards, beejay

Cheers.

Late, but just saw this one:

I Coloniali Soothing Aftershave Emulsion with Rhubarb

Sounds like it would be great for the Spring! With the strawberrys coming out it would be great with Pie!!!:)-)

Rhubarb!!! 'I have a Bridge to sell you'!:)-)

Maguires barbershop are doing a 'cologne for a quid' offer on 100ml Ogallala Bay Rum. Sadly I managed to drop mine the second the lid was off (I am a bit of a dickhead sometimes) carpet smells nice though.

Gigahurtz said:

Colognes that are the antithesis of floral and citrus are also my bag (with a few exeptions).

You should take a look at.

Frapin - 1270
Tauer Perfumes - L`Air du Desert Marocain
Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
Zirh - Icon
Bvlgari - Black
Hugo Boss - Boss Bottled
Hermes - Rocabar
Serge Lutens - Un Bois Vanille (Aimed at females, but dont let that put you off)
Yves Saint Laurent - La Nuit de l`Homme
Comme Des Garcons - 2 Man
Comme Des Garcons - Wonderwood
New Haarlem - Bond No 9

I recently purchased Idole by Lubin and it sounds up your street.

Back
Top Bottom