After the shave..............

I always like to apply Nivea Sensitive Shave Balm after a shave. After alum block I wait till skin is dry and then apply the Nivea. I find it is a perfect application to deal with tightness or burn. I also love Proraso Red aftershave.

However I don't like the alcohol in it directly after shave on my skin.

Does it make any sense to use the Proraso after shave a few minutes after the Nivea Balm? - I just enjoy the final Proraso fragrance to end.

I used to use nivea sensitive as balm when I was a cartridge shaver for itching and rash. With DE I need nothing apart from a wee splash of aftershave, the aftershave is just for scent it does nothing for rash because de does not give me rash or itching.

I would apply the alcohol lotion before a balm. The balm should be the last application. If you have had a bad experience, I would advise using Prep Cream instead of a balm.

if the shaving has been smooth enough and without cuts it is better not to abound with alum every day .
dries the skin and predisposes to wrinkles
It is good to alternate the aftershave by gently slapping it on the face without rubbing it and balm even a few hours later or during the day to moisturize the face.

YMMV ..... I tend to use alum only if I've had a rough or irritating shave.
A splash of witch hazel might be worth considering and / or maybe try some alternative balms / aftershaves in your routine.
e.g. Proraso Red Balm would offer a scent and cooling / healing from the balm without need to apply an aftershave on top.
Applying aftershave / splash first and then balm works best for me but there's no rules that you need to apply both. Do whatever feels comfortable.

IanR, there is an old trick for using a balm with an AS as well that I will share with you. After you apply your balm (preferably an unscented one), and just before the balm is totally dry and still tacky, spray mist (yes, you will need a small spray bottle) your AS of choice onto your face/neck. The AS will then be "suspended" in the balm layer and the scent will last far longer.

With the aforementioned method you won't need specifically scented balms and you'll bypass the burn for the most part.. (y) ;)

IanR, there is an old trick for using a balm with an AS as well that I will share with you. After you apply your balm (preferably an unscented one), and just before the balm is totally dry and still tacky, spray mist (yes, you will need a small spray bottle) your AS of choice onto your face/neck. The AS will then be "suspended" in the balm layer and the scent will last far longer.

With the aforementioned method you won't need specifically scented balms and you'll bypass the burn for the most part.. (y) ;)
I've been trying it this way for a few months now. Definitely a longer lasting scent.

Back
Top Bottom