After Shave Advice

I've been shaving for + 50 years and I wouldn't use anything but an alcohol-based aftershave; moreover, if it has a touch of menthol so much the better. I've tried all sorts of alcohol-free balms, witch hazels and other post-shave applications for sensitive skin and none has worked for me. The alcohol-based splashes leave my face feeling clean, soothed and invigorated. My favourite splash is Harris Arlington, but I have a rotation of another dozen alcohol-based splashes including several from TOBS, Trumper, Aqua Velva, M&S, Prada, Alt Insbruck and Bromley. One post-shave product that doesn't work for me at all is alum: it leaves my skin feeling dry and stiff.

Mate - for me a shave wouldn't be a shave without an alcohol-based after shave. I too had read stuff about alcohol splashes being bad for freshly shaved skin but I don't find that to be my experience. Since I completely shifted to 'proper' shaving my facial skin has never been better. The post-shave routine I always use is as follows - 1) Allum - seals any tiny lesions or weepers you may have picked up. It is also a useful feedback aid - if it stings you've been too heavy-handed. 2) Witch hazel - applied with cotton make-up pads. Products such as Thayers and Humphreys are lovely but relatively very expensive. I ordinarily use the bog-standard BP version - normally about two quid from a supermarket. 3) Alcohol splash. I have loads - well more than I strictly need - and normally try to pair the scent with the soap I have used. With most the scent doesn't persist that last long - that's not what it's for. Some of the brands that work for me - from Spain - Myrsol, Floid, Lea Classic and Artic Glacial. Elsewhere - OSP tonics I find are top end. RazoRock and Fine are good too. Alt Innsbruck is a favourite. I have some non-alcohol a/s - Nivea for instance - but I don't seem to reach for it that much. 4) Lastly - I use a balm. I could recommend Myrsol, Weleda, Alvarez & Gomez Barberia as great products. The various Real Shaving Co. balms and moisturisers perform brilliantly for the cost. As does Nivea. 5) Edt or parfum - if I'm in the mood. This is where your long lasting scent comes from - it's extremely personal so I would hesitate to recommend any. What works on one person will stink on another. I hope this helps - I.

Hi Digimonkey. Thank you for your considered response to my enquiry. That all makes perfect sense to me and seems like a routine I can gladly adopt. I already use the allum and witch hazel. The fun now starts with sampling some splashes. The thing is, I really do spend more time and more money on my 'beauty' regime than my other half does now. And I'm loving it! Thanks once again.
Barry

No worries mate - my other half always looks immaculate - unlike me. I suspect most people assume - when we are together - that she is my social worker or carer! She has never once complained about me taking an interest in 'male grooming' though. Cheers - I

IMO, there are two general groups who use AS: those who do it purely for the fragrance and want to smell good above all; those who do it for skin "nourishment". Obviously, there will be those who may overlap into the other category somewhat, but generally the aforementioned groups hold fast IMO. I fall into the former group as I just simply like to smell good.

My routine is always changing and it is one of the things I particularly enjoy about shaving.

I use Alum block, balms and AS with a bit of alcohol and scent or alcohol and menthol. The product I always use though is Thayers witch hazel. If I use a soap that I like but it doesn't give me a soft moisturised skin feel then I finish with a balm AS. On the other hand, if I think I don't need anymore moisturising then I might go for something like Fine AS or an EDT after the Thayers witch hazel, this morning for instance, I finished the shave with Fine Snake Bite..... the Stirling Scots Pine Sheep soap leaves my skin nicely moisturised so I don't need any balm.

There's lots of choices out there you just need to find what works for you.