After a month of electric razor i'm back to wet-shaving.

D

Deleted member 11009

After a month of trying the xiaomi razor and even an arc-5 panasonic i'm back to wet-shaving. The shaves i had with the electrics were good but i had a lot of stubble at 1 pm several hours before what i get with either DEs or multiblades. And i still had burns. So, the choice was easy. Returned the razors to amazon and aliexpress and now i'm left with only the fusion proglide flexball power (the one i received from my wife for valentine's day in 2015 so it's untouchable) , a mach3 and a muhle r108.

Did you try any pre-shave lotions with the electric? They might help with the irritation:

Pre-shave
of cpurse, i tried lectric shave by williams. The razor glided much better but the results were the same. Less irritation but i had 5 o clock shadow at 11.00 am!!!! The closeness doesn't even compare. And for me closeness is first. I really hate feeling a sandpaper on my face

(totally unrelated) i feel good with the r89. tot as close (yet) as the fusion but smooth and no nicks, no cuts.

After a month of trying the xiaomi razor and even an arc-5 panasonic i'm back to wet-shaving. The shaves i had with the electrics were good but i had a lot of stubble at 1 pm several hours before what i get with either DEs or multiblades. And i still had burns. So, the choice was easy. Returned the razors to amazon and aliexpress and now i'm left with only the fusion proglide flexball power (the one i received from my wife for valentine's day in 2015 so it's untouchable) , a mach3 and a muhle r108.
I month isn't long enough. I tried electric shavers a few years ago before going overseas (didn't want to take my beloved R89) and bought a battery powered one (can't recall the name) after a few weeks I was complaining about the crap shaves from it and was told by several electric users that it can take from 4 to 6 months minimum for your face to get used to it and give almost BBS shaves. From the start I wasn't enjoying them but persevered. Too cut a story short, I lasted 5 1/2 months before leaving it on a Vienna hostel bathroom sink with a note saying "it's yours if you want it" after which by chance I found a small flea market in Prague a couple of hrs later with a vendor selling a vintage Russian adjustable DE razor so I bought it without haggling (just made sure it worked) and went back to wet shaving that night. So if you are still thinking of electric shaving you will need to persevere with it for at least 6 months. Or in my opinion, tell the electrics to stuff it and continue DE shaving. It might take three times as long but you will enjoy it and know you ended up with the shave you were aiming for.

It is very important to apply sunflower oil with olive oil as pre-shaved (90% + 10%)

TABAC soap

if i have to do the usual prep (which BTW i enjoy a lot) with an electric, i'd rather use a cart or a DE with it!!

I have a pair of electric razors and somewhere the cartridge razor models with a 5-blade Gillette fusion power engine.

But I don't usually use them. I enjoy a more fun shave with Schick injector safety razors such as the DIAL or the L model and DD razors such as the SCHICK KRONA and the ROCWELL 6S.

formula images

I have a pair of electric razors and somewhere the cartridge razor models with a 5-blade Gillette fusion power engine.

But I don't usually use them. I enjoy a more fun shave with Schick injector safety razors such as the DIAL or the L model and DD razors such as the SCHICK KRONA and the ROCWELL 6S.

formula images
the rockwell 6s is a beast. not in my budget right now but it's a beast anyway.

No electric can shave as close as a blade. With a manual razor (cart or DE or straight) the blade is directly in contact with your skin. With an electric there's always a phisical barrier (foils...rotary ecc). There's simply no comparison. You can have all the gimmicks of the world (14.000 rpm...5 blades, very thin foil... gimmicky "lift & cut systems.... etc etc) but the physical barrier will always remain. So the maximum level of shaving closeness is determined by the thickness of that barrier. You can get "very close" to a blade shave but you can never equal it. I have seen die-hard electric advocates telling me that "after shave the feeling is the same". I think it's just a way to auto-convince themselves because it's physically not possible (for the aforementioned reasons) unless you remove the foils or the rotary cap - not very advisable ;) And the proof it's in the beard regrowth: with the electrics is much faster just because... the hair has been cut less profoundly. That's it.

Reactions: abj
I have always had a much closer, cleaner shave with my Mach 3 than with any electric razor I have tried (and I have tried most of them). A "proper" razor will also cost you a tiny fraction of the price of most electric razors. I have used electric razors when I have been desperate, but it has never taken me long to go back to wet shaving. As far as I am concerned, it is the best and most effective way to shave.

Back
Top Bottom