Aeropress - Steel Filter

jds

I've just picked up an Aeropress and started looking at the options open to me. To those that have used them are there any opinions on permanent steel filters vs paper filters?

I am planning on using this in the office so a steel filter (looking at the Able Standard) might be better.

Appreciate any feedback / comments...

Jon

n1vlo said:
will be interested in this....been meaning to get myself one for years...where did you buy it

ill keep an eye out

I picked it up on eBay for £18. I had a look at one in Whittards - they retail there for £25. For a new model on eBay £21.95 seems to be the cheapest with Free Collect from Argos.

The reviews that I have read are pretty spectacular, but then the good ones would be easier to get hold of! We'll see. My hopes are high.

Jon

I got mine from The Coffeesmithes Collective for £12.50 almost 2 years ago (for the same price actually)
It's the "Able" fine filter. There's also a standard filter available elsewhere.

The fine one needs a bit more brute force to press the coffee through but works "fine". It's quite thin so you need to be careful where you place it in case it gets bent so maybe not the best place for the office environment. I believe the standard version is tougher. I think I can tell the difference between using paper filters - you get more oils and flavour really. Cleaning up a more of a chore because you can't simply dump everything in the bin but it dries very quickly.

Love my Aeropress, but I'm not sure about permanent filters. You can make a filter last a day (or more) if you peel it off the puck, and then the grounds drop neatly into the waste bin. Use the savings to buy some more coffee?

I'm not sure I can taster the difference, but it is best to let some hot water pass through a new paper filter, before adding the coffee.

Use mine at home and also on trips. My feeling is that paper is easier. You just 'pop' the used filter and grids into the waste basket and they're gone.

Thanks for your input guys. I've ordered a standard. Seems to give the coffee a deeper flavor from reviews I have read. We shall see. I'll be getting some paper filters too so will be able to compare.

Looking forward to it though, I have to say.

All the best

Jon

You won't be sorry - very 'clean' tasting coffee. Ex world Barista champ showing how to use it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ics7oymw8 you can also invert it which makes it less messy, for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom