Advice please

Hi folks

Am a DE convert for about the last eight months or so. Am enjoying experimenting with various bits of stuff, but recently I started to get really itchy & red, especially around the neck area after a few hours after shaving.

Was totally mystified, and after some painstaking trials, I narrowed it down to my NIVEA aftershave balm which was a regular workhorse for me and which I had used happily for several months, but I am presuming I built up an allergy to.

My set-up:

Pre-shave T&H
Shave T&h soap/ CF cream lavender

Unfortunately, I am struggling to find a balm which I can use. Don't want to make an expensive mistake again ( eg Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna -gorgeous smell but same problem). Ironically, I'm using a cheap one from Boots ( L'oreal) which doesn't itch

Anyone had a similar experience, any ideas for what to try?
Also, got several bottles of the Nivea stuff which I don't need anymore!

Whoops - sorry, I should have asked this in shaving help

If it's ingrowns, the rash will appear as small red bumps, rather than a general redness. Having said that, given the circumstances, I suspect it's a sensitivity to the Nivea. Have you tried witch hazel as general toner/aftershave?

No idea of the cause but I use the Boots Freshwood balm - own brand. Cheap but does the job, well certainly for me. I apply straight on top of my dried Alum coated face with no problems.

I had a similar problem a few months ago....I thought at the time it might have been caused by a sensitivity to the Nivea sensitive as well....could be wrong...but it seemed the most likely candidate..... I haven't used it since. So I had a couple of spare bottles....Brand new, but they went in the bin....Along with a new TBS Sandalwood cream also a possible candidate.....

So now...for the time being, I'm back to using what I know works for me...Palmolive soap stick grated into a spare tub with a dash of Palmolive cream on top for that super luxury lather......

welcome to the sensitive hide club....

Thank you for the replies.

Chrisbell - I have a TOBS balm, which has witch hazel which I shall use to test.

Goldcrest - interesting that you may have had a reaction to Nivea as well. Oh well, will just have to buy a few more balms to try :)

odd. i ussed to ocationally get the red rash. when i swapped to prorasso or professor blightys grapewood (thanks so much for it mol).

i stopped getting it. i think at some point im going to ask professor to make me a bottle.

im pretty sure the professor could easily make a bottle to the scent that you like

Back
Top Bottom