Advice on a starter kit.

As many of you know I have an antiques shop and sell razors from there along with other techy manly type goods (old telephones etc) and with christmas coming up I was thinking of putting together some started kits the plan is to put them in vintage tins and putting osme grey foam in the bottom.

What I want to include is:

A leaflet i wrote on DE shaving.
A gillete 3 peice or similar thinking tech or something
A stick of erasmic shave soap.
Vintage shaving brush
A pack of blades.

Do you think its a good idea? and what blades would be good for a newbie to start with, my first was wilkinsons which arent bad, but getting them seperatly is becoming more difficult.

A soap sampler might be nice - 4 or 5 of the best-known soaps cut up and labelled; at the very least Palmolive and Tabac (of course

Derbies are good starter blades.

BTW, nice to have you back Milster

I'm really not sure that those interested in vintage shaving gear are going to be interested in buying a complete kit for new shavers or visa versa.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I think they are mutually exclusive.

As a beginner, I think I'd be a bit put off by a used brush. But a kit with vintage razor, a new brush, a pack of blades and a Palmolive stick would be a great idea. I'd go with the Palmolive as a replacement is easy to find pretty much anywhere.

Thanks all for thoughts to many to quote in replies but these are my thoughts:

I always have a few vintage shaving brushes on my shelves so finding those wouldn't be a problem.

I like the idea of Derby blades, I always hated them but they are cheap and cheerful.

I was thinking of erasmic as the packaging is more retro/vintage than the others but opinion seems to think it would be a bad idea will re-visit this.

Putting in a selection of soaps whilst would be really good for the consumer might make it non-viable for me whilst keeping it at a attractive price point.

It doesn't have to sell, as it will only cost me £3-£4 in stock I don't already have and it will always make a good conversation piece for people visiting the shop, also it will be fun for me to put together.

Thanks all for the feedback, any more ideas always welcome, I will post a picture of my creation in a few weeks when it is done.

antdad said:
I'm really not sure that those interested in vintage shaving gear are going to be interested in buying a complete kit for new shavers or visa versa.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I think they are mutually exclusive.

Don't think Millay's point was to attract razor collectors - who would view the other stuff with the razor as superfluous fluff, but to facilitate a either a shaving epiphany moment or whiff of nostalgia for the casual browser.

Millay said:
I was thinking of erasmic as the packaging is more retro/vintage than the others but opinion seems to think it would be a bad idea will re-visit this.

Take the palmolive out the box and leave it wrapped in foil in the kit.

When you open the foil, nothing says nostalgia like the smell and that "bakelite" green colour.

I.e. Like this

green%20bakelite%20radio_web%20230.jpg

moodymick said:
antdad said:

Don't think Millay's point was to attract razor collectors - who would view the other stuff with the razor as superfluous fluff, but to facilitate a either a shaving epiphany moment or whiff of nostalgia for the casual browser.

Well I did say visa versa.

I'm just not convinced that someone potentially attracted to returning to D.E shaving or having an epiphany moment would be tempted to buy a second hand vintage brush. If you then bundle that with other shaving goods I think you'd further decrease the chances of selling the kit.

Old razors can come up like a new penny so if you want to use vintage kit as an attractor for your display that'll work but most folks outside our hallowed circle would view buying an old shaving brush like buying a used second hand tooth brush, they just wouldn't and wives and girlfriends definitely wouldn't.

If what you want to do is sell gear rather than just talk about it suggest to folks via your display that you can shave like your granddad but still use products that are made today. They will surely make that connection, so you make it easy for them by bundling a simple kit using new products that you can find and purchase easily. Oh and I would offer a variety of blades, that in itself would be an eye opener looking for an alternative.

andyjreid said:
Millay said:

Take the palmolive out the box and leave it wrapped in foil in the kit.

When you open the foil, nothing says nostalgia like the smell and that "bakelite" green colour.

I.e. Like this

green%20bakelite%20radio_web%20230.jpg

Forgive me for splitting hairs, but i hate to say there is no such thing as green bakelite, bakelite (Phenol formaldehyde) only ever came in brown black or mottled. most other colours were made from Urea-formaldehyde. But that really is splitting hairs as calling it all bakelite is really fine. Although bakelite stands the test of time far better than other plastics, hence ivory coloured telephones fetch a higher price than black telephones.

I do know what your sayign about taking it out the box. I shall have a look thanks :)

If you what a retro looking soap the go for Arko.

[attachment=0]

Attachments

• Arko-shaving-soap-stick-from-Turkey.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 24
antdad said:
moodymick said:
antdad said:

Well I did say visa versa.

I'm just not convinced that someone potentially attracted to returning to D.E shaving or having an epiphany moment would be tempted to buy a second hand vintage brush. If you then bundle that with other shaving goods I think you'd further decrease the chances of selling the kit.

Old razors can come up like a new penny so if you want to use vintage kit as an attractor for your display that'll work but most folks outside our hallowed circle would view buying an old shaving brush like buying a used second hand tooth brush, they just wouldn't and wives and girlfriends definitely wouldn't.

If what you want to do is sell gear rather than just talk about it suggest to folks via your display that you can shave like your granddad but still use products that are made today. They will surely make that connection, so you make it easy for them by bundling a simple kit using new products that you can find and purchase easily. Oh and I would offer a variety of blades, that in itself would be an eye opener looking for an alternative.

I agree with some of what you say, but your getting my market confused slightly. I am going for impulse gift purchase not for someone really thinking about taking up the hobby. We all see the kind of stuff the likes of BHS roll out at this time of year, and peole buy it when they never normally would.

Back
Top Bottom