Advice for first my straight razor

This has been a long time in the pipeline line but I've finally decided I want to get into SR's I've had a go with shavettes before so not completely new but never used a straight. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like to look to purchase something at the end of this coming week when I have a little spare I would like something suitable to learn with and perhaps later have a go at learning to hone with. Any advice and recommendations on where to purchase a decent shave ready SR would be greatly appreciated new to this and it's all a bit confusing

This has been a long time in the pipeline line but I've finally decided I want to get into SR's I've had a go with shavettes before so not completely new but never used a straight. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like to look to purchase something at the end of this coming week when I have a little spare I would like something suitable to learn with and perhaps later have a go at learning to hone with. Any advice and recommendations on where to purchase a decent shave ready SR would be greatly appreciated new to this and it's all a bit confusing
So many things to consider, you will need to buy a strop along with your razor to keep it keen, so the price of that also needs to be a part of your budget.
Talking of budgets, what is yours? This will give us a starting point and do you want a new or a pre-owned razor? Even without knowing these things I can say you probably want to go for a 5/8 razor with a round tip to start off with, back to you! :)

Paul.

So many things to consider, you will need to buy a strop along with your razor to keep it keen, so the price of that also needs to be a part of your budget.
Talking of budgets, what is yours? This will give us a starting point and do you want a new or a pre-owned razor? Even without knowing these things I can say you probably want to go for a 5/8 razor with a round tip to start off with, back to you! :)

Paul.
Thanks for your reply Paul I'd say budget maybe up to £50 ish for a razor used not interested in anything fancy new to learn with but something ready to shave with not really sure about choosing a strop for learning either

If you're still looking a month or two from now I might have one to give you. At the moment I'm trying to observe lockdown strictly so a non-essential trip to the post office is out.

It's a new razor, a Titan from Aliexpress. It shaved arm hair when it arrived (that's still a long way from shave-ready) but after a session on a 1k stone I only made it worse. There seems to be a slight curve in the spine which may not be too bad but I don't know how to deal with it myself.

The plan would be to send it a forum member who does some honing and actually knows what they're doing (I don't). If he thinks it's OK, great. You get a free razor and only pay for the cost of honing.

Titans are a little bit clunky in feel (72g v around 40g for many vintage straights) but the word is they shave well if you get a decent one which is properly honed.

Ebay can have some real vintage bargains but avoid anything with corrosion - especially near the edge. You'll almost certainly have to factor in the cost of sending it out to be honed.

If you're still looking a month or two from now I might have one to give you. At the moment I'm trying to observe lockdown strictly so a non-essential trip to the post office is out.

It's a new razor, a Titan from Aliexpress. It shaved arm hair when it arrived (that's still a long way from shave-ready) but after a session on a 1k stone I only made it worse. There seems to be a slight curve in the spine which may not be too bad but I don't know how to deal with it myself.

The plan would be to send it a forum member who does some honing and actually knows what they're doing (I don't). If he thinks it's OK, great. You get a free razor and only pay for the cost of honing.

Titans are a little bit clunky in feel (72g v around 40g for many vintage straights) but the word is they shave well if you get a decent one which is properly honed.

Ebay can have some real vintage bargains but avoid anything with corrosion - especially near the edge. You'll almost certainly have to factor in the cost of sending it out to be honed.
Thank you (that's) a very kind offer and I would be more than willing to pay a honing fee if you are generous enough to allow me the opportunity that would be great I'm really keen to give straights go and honing too later down the line when I gain enough experience @Blademonkey has kindly offered some great advice and is sending me some photos of one he may have for sale for me

I would recommend a restored vintage SHAVE READY razor from a reputable honemeister in that price range if you haven't decided on advice already! And a decent, basic strop as an absolute minimum..

A really fantastic journey to embark on. It doesn't take too long to pick up, especially as you have some shavette experience already. For me, it is a much more satisfying process than DE shaving, and I love the DFS results you can get easily in 2 passes (and I have a super thick beard).

I have found slick lather to be very important... If your lather is too dry it can feel like your blade is dull, but add some water and suddenly the hairs just wipe away.

Keep us updated and good luck!

I would recommend a restored vintage SHAVE READY razor from a reputable honemeister in that price range if you haven't decided on advice already! And a decent, basic strop as an absolute minimum..

A really fantastic journey to embark on. It doesn't take too long to pick up, especially as you have some shavette experience already. For me, it is a much more satisfying process than DE shaving, and I love the DFS results you can get easily in 2 passes (and I have a super thick beard).

I have found slick lather to be very important... If your lather is too dry it can feel like your blade is dull, but add some water and suddenly the hairs just wipe away.

Keep us updated and good luck!
Thank you for your reply and for the advice I will be purchasing from somebody I trust on the forum wouldn't go out taking a gamble on eBay because I really wouldn't have a clue what to look for. Really looking forward to starting the journey going to spend many an hour reading up on some of the valuable information out there can't wait to get stuck in

If You Want a Proper Freshly Shave Ready Vintage SR in Very Good Condition...PM Me.. :cool:

Billy

Advice for first my straight razor

By8hBBa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom