Adjustables

Hi, guys. Is there anyone out there who's a fan
of adjustable razors? My understanding of the
adjustment that gets made is the size of the
gap between thebottom of the blade and the top
of the bar. Is that correct?
Some razors come with more than one plate.
These plates give a fixed adjustment?
Just how does this affect the shave?
Because I can't see how that would make a difference.
Obviously it must do, or there'd be no call for them!

Last edited:
I recently bought, still havent received a PAA Ascension twist razor which is kinda adjustable, by loosening the handle. i was also curious as to adjustables. Cant wait to try it out.

Hi, guys. Is there anyone out there who's a fan
of adjustable razors? My understanding of the
adjustment that gets made is the size of the
gap between thebottom of the blade and the top
of the bar. Is that correct?
Some razors come with more than one plate.
These plates give a fixed adjustment?
Just how does this affect the shave?
Because I can't see how that would make a difference.
Obviously it must do, or there'd be no call for them!
Hi BillTse...I occasionally use a Merkur Progress, adjustable ...has an adjustable range of 1-5, which is controlled by an adjustment knob at the base of the handle. As i see it, the gap between the blade and the head increases with a higher setting...so it is more aggressive/grabs more, as the setting are set to a higher number. I find it a very useful feature, as one can dial down the razor on more sensitive areas...such as the neck...and dial it up for less sensitive areas, or when there is a longer beard growth after a few days. Very handy. I did have a Rockwell adjustable...very nice shave, however that razor was adjusted by actually changing the razor plates...could not do that on the fly...had to take the razor apart each time. Did not find that very appealing for my use. hope that helps.

I bought a Merkur Futur almost 2 years ago, the shiny chrome one, just flip the top cap off to change the blade. On number 6 permanently now. Its a thing of beauty!

I love the idea of an adjustable, I’ve tried a few but found that once I found the correct setting I kept it at that’s, so for me defeated the object of the adjustable. The worst one for me was the Rex, stunning looking razor but I could hardly tell the difference in adjustment.

I love the idea of an adjustable, I’ve tried a few but found that once I found the correct setting I kept it at that’s, so for me defeated the object of the adjustable. The worst one for me was the Rex, stunning looking razor but I could hardly tell the difference in adjustment.

This for me is one of the main reasons for an adjustable, it's like buying a guarantee that will help you find the exact setting for the moment or for eternity... And if you ever change your mood, well it lets you do that too..

Back
Top Bottom