Adjustable razor settings?

Hello,

When I started back into wetshaving, I bought several razors including a Futur. I was getting decent shaves with it and mostly used it at 2.5 on the guide.

I've read several people commenting that they adjust their razor's aggressiveness between passes so I'm curious if anyone else here does that? If not, what settings would you use for the full shave? Unless it's something very special, I don't do an against the grain 3rd pass. One with and one across plus touch-ups is my regular shave.

I'm planning to get an adjustable soon (probably either a Progress or Fatboy) and would enjoy hearing any tips or advise.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, when I was using an adjustable I just found a comfortable setting & left it alone. But then my skin & whiskers are pretty much the same all over my face. If there's any particular area which is tender or has heavier beard growth than another I can well see why it could be atvantageous to be able to adjust blade gap as you go along.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

When I try a new blade maker, I usually set it at 2-3 for the first pass; then to 5-6 for the second. Remember to loosen the head on the Gillette before chging the setting.

Hi Mark, I'm a set and forget man.

I found that messing round with settings can lead to uncomfortable shaves if you get carried away.

Set and forget gives me consistently good results.

Usually 6, 4, 2 for me (Fatboy, Super Adjustable and Slim Adjustable). The more aggressive start removes more hair and provides less irritation than doing 2, 4, 6 - for me anyway.

I've used a Future, a Gillette Slim and currently have a Progress. I did experiment briefly with altering the setting between passes, but found that there really wasn't any advantage in doing it.

Ian

I have only used my progress a couple of times but at the moment have it a 2.5 and have left it there. Looking at the gap when on this setting it looks (as best as I can see) to be a similar gap to my 34c so just going with this at the moment.
Cheers,
Geoff

I don't own an adjustable any more.
I'd get too hung up on finding the perfect setting and wondering if the shave could/should have been better.
regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom