Adjustable Open Comb?

Crossan

Supporter
Supporter
Hey All,

Just curious, is anyone aware of any open comb twist type adjustable razors? I gave the gillette adjustable in the newbie box a try this morning and it was a real novelty but I think I get on better with open combs (though I still intend to trial the range of settings and a few of my different blades while I've got it).

I managed to find the PAA Ascension (double open comb), and I've seen a couple of references to it on the forum but can't see any feedback to indicate whether it's any good or a gimmick.

Like I say it's more out of curiosity than a need.

Cheers

Marc

Thanks for that. I'm lining up to buy a Taiga, and have been scouring the website for this. I can't at present find it there, but at least I wasn't hallucinating.
Yeah I'd jumped on the website as well, couldn't find any references. I see they do limited editions and I did wonder if they may have only done it for one of those, but I wouldn't have thought you'd do a limited run on something that is actually functional. Unless of course there just wasn't demand for it, still going to keep looking though.

Yeah I'd jumped on the website as well, couldn't find any references. I see they do limited editions and I did wonder if they may have only done it for one of those, but I wouldn't have thought you'd do a limited run on something that is actually functional. Unless of course there just wasn't demand for it, still going to keep looking though.
I've written to them to ask if the dual-baseplate kit will again be available. If it is, I'd quite like to buy it, depending on price. I've got a "Start" razor set, with four (yes, four) baseplates; three CC .69 to 1.18 and the OC .90, and any one gives an excellent shave. Having a couple of options on the adjustable would be just the thing.

I've written to them to ask if the dual-baseplate kit will again be available. If it is, I'd quite like to buy it, depending on price. I've got a "Start" razor set, with four (yes, four) baseplates; three CC .69 to 1.18 and the OC .90, and any one gives an excellent shave. Having a couple of options on the adjustable would be just the thing.
Nice one, if you hear anything back would you mind keeping me in the loop? As you say price dependent it would give a lot of options. I assume if you're interested in this one then the Start razor must be decent quality. I haven't actually had one of these in hand, though I've heard good things.

Nice one, if you hear anything back would you mind keeping me in the loop? As you say price dependent it would give a lot of options. I assume if you're interested in this one then the Start razor must be decent quality. I haven't actually had one of these in hand, though I've heard good things.
Will do. The "Start" kit is a first-rate stainless set, at a very reasonable price, all things considered. It's as good as any of the other (too many) stainless razors that I've accumulated, in many cases better, and I can't fault it. I'm not much of a purist when it comes down to the finer points of knurling, polish and so forth, but it looks good and works well. I imagine the same can be said of the other 3-piece razors they make, and also the "Taiga".

Will do. The "Start" kit is a first-rate stainless set, at a very reasonable price, all things considered. It's as good as any of the other (too many) stainless razors that I've accumulated, in many cases better, and I can't fault it. I'm not much of a purist when it comes down to the finer points of knurling, polish and so forth, but it looks good and works well. I imagine the same can be said of the other 3-piece razors they make, and also the "Taiga".
Nice one, thank you. That's all I ever ask from a razor, I'm not that ofay in the finer points of any razor. As long as it gets close enough without immediately taking my skin off, looks good and doesn't fall apart then I'm all game. Like I said, I'm a magpie, if it's shiny I'm in.

I've not seen one, either new or vintage. Waits' "Compendium" might record something, but I rather doubt it.
I scoured Waits but could not find anything.

There was a single edge where you could adjust the presentation of the blades - the "gap" so to speak. In fact, those ancient Wilkinson Sword contraptions do that. I found another where the slant could be adjusted.

Suffice to say, there's no open comb adjustable ... as in 0-10 aggression.

I scoured Waits but could not find anything.

There was a single edge where you could adjust the presentation of the blades - the "gap" so to speak. In fact, those ancient Wilkinson Sword contraptions do that. I found another where the slant could be adjusted.

Suffice to say, there's no open comb adjustable ... as in 0-10 aggression.
Cheers for trying on that one. I'll see how the Taiga hunt goes, it may be a pipe dream and frankly unnecessary considering the vast options out there, but I can live and dream!

In the meantime the R41 and the straights still do the trick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom