Adjustable, advice sought

bigsimes said:
I've just taken 'delivery' of my Gillette Slim Adjustable. Looking forward to trying out tonight....

For safety's sake - I'll probably use a Derby and set on 2

Hi there,

If the Derby's a good fit for you in other razors, definitely give that a try first. Otherwise, go with a blade you like in other razors. The 'safety' part comes into play with that adjustable setting on the Slim. It's much safer (and more comfortable) using a sharp blade in a milder razor, rather than a mild blade in a razor with lots of bite.

The idea's to keep variables to a minimum when testing a new razor or blade. Be sure to try a few other blades in the Slim before forming any final opinions.

Far as the #2 setting to start with, I'd bump it up to 3-4. That's still gonna be milder than any superspeed or even a Tech, but that doesn't mean it can't still be effective. Matter of fact, my magic adjustable number is a 4, which fits me about perfect.

You probably already know about that extra 1/4 handle turn needed to lock the blade in place, but it couldn't hoit to mention that little feature.

Martin

Thanks for the advice chaps.

I'm fairly new to DE shaving - but got seduced by a birth year/razor. I enjoy shaving with the SS - so the Slim-Adj was a new experience.

Thought I'd take it down a notch just to get used to the shape/weight. Still managed to nick myself 2/3 times. I used a Derby in the SS so thought stay with that in an effort to 'keep it simple'

Still a decent shave and a bit of learning with a new razor. I'm getting a new DE89 at the weekend (pressie from the wife) along with a decent brush so looking forward to that!

lesed said:
Thanks for all the advice, its much appriciated, I would love to go down the "Previously cherished" road, am really drawn to the older stuff, time to start looking i guess!

Look no further, tell me what you're looking for in adjustable wise, as long as it's not a toggle or a 195, I might be able to help :)
Send me a PM.

Max

bigsimes said:
Thanks for the advice chaps.

I'm fairly new to DE shaving - but got seduced by a birth year/razor. I enjoy shaving with the SS - so the Slim-Adj was a new experience.

Thought I'd take it down a notch just to get used to the shape/weight. Still managed to nick myself 2/3 times. I used a Derby in the SS so thought stay with that in an effort to 'keep it simple'

Still a decent shave and a bit of learning with a new razor. I'm getting a new DE89 at the weekend (pressie from the wife) along with a decent brush so looking forward to that!

Were you using too much pressure? The slim has most of its weight in the head, so you don't need to apply any pressure at all when using it other than the weight of the razor head.

chrisbell said:
Were you using too much pressure? The slim has most of its weight in the head, so you don't need to apply any pressure at all when using it other than the weight of the razor head.

Possibly...was concentrating on my technique and probably over-compensating. Didn't notice the nicks till the second pass.

Only did 2 x WTG passes. Still got a smoooooth shave

Well I've a liking for the Futur, these days I don't use it much as its the kind of razor I have to allow time for, and if I have that time I use a straight!

However I've found that it brings out the best in any blade.

Skin Glider said:
How to hold ? I get mine sometime next week. Whats the best place along the handle to hold it ?

Well, I have very small hands, but I place my little finger at the end of the handle, and gently hold it from there with each finger slghtly spread, so lower half in other words. More important, IMO, is a light grip; firm enough to not drop it, obviously, but loose enough to prevent you from applying pressure.

Skin Glider said:
How to hold ? I get mine sometime next week. Whats the best place along the handle to hold it ?

Wherever it's most comfortable and natural for you.

I tend to hold my razors below the balance point of the razor between forefinger and thumb (ie. below the point where a razor balances when rested on my forefinger) - so a razor with a light head, I'll hold lower down the handle than one with a heavy head.

hunnymonster said:
Skin Glider said:

Wherever it's most comfortable and natural for you.

I tend to hold my razors below the balance point of the razor between forefinger and thumb (ie. below the point where a razor balances when rested on my forefinger) - so a razor with a light head, I'll hold lower down the handle than one with a heavy head.

Not an expert, but I find I do a similar thing. It's not a conscious thing, just a natural positioning of the fingers. When you hold it, you'll find a natural balance point for you.

Back
Top Bottom