Adding fragrances.

And so I tried it.
Having passed the two sticks of Erasmic through the parmesan mill I began adding Rose Water & Glycerine while stirring slowly, eventually achieving the consistency of cottage cheese.
This was then covered and set aside for a week to dry and harden.
The result - a shaving soap that smells faintly of soap but not a single whiff of Rose!
Still shaves OK though and I discovered that the RW&G is quite nice applied as a post shave EdT - must be the glycerine.

It was worth a try as an experiment, thanks for letting me know. If that had worked well we could have had SirPrize Rose Shaving sticks on e-bay at £5 a pop (the surprise is that they are 45p palmolive ones).

Anton

i am about to procure a grater finer than the one i currently have for the purpose of our original experiment.

the foul smelling soap i will attempt to transform is an old Arko stick, but as you first raised the question in point i will make my first efforts with your good self in mind.

would you like to make a choice from the following fragrances, if any tickle your fancy, and i shall have at the soap in due course.

Polo Original
Issey Miyake
Angel

Hando

Hando-
I'm not familiar with any of these fragrances but would recommend the simplest in terms of fragrance and the cheapest just in case it turns out a total loss.
Good luck comrade - the eyes of the world are upon you!

Anton

it matters not as to which one i use as i already have them.

they are 100% Fragrance Oils not EO's but i think there is little difference as they are quite strong scent wise.

then i think i shall try the Angel first.

my first thoughts were to finely grate said soap and leave to dry further
then, with the aid of an atomiser, add a diluted solution of the chosen oil and Whichhazel (ratios un-decided at present)
allow small amount of time for absorbtion
press into stick container

sucess or failure awaits

alas i have to report that my first endevour with the grater was a huge disappointment.

the soap in question, Arko, is either too soft or highly tallow-tastic that it failed to grate as planned.

i have since rolled it flat between grease-proof paper and it is currently drying out in the airing cupboard, there after i will add the fragrance as planned before but then fold the soap on-itself and roll flat again numerous times to see if this works.

i should maybe have dried the soap better originally or used a grater that wasn't as fine

Gents, i shall continue to keep you informed

UPDATE

after letting the Arko dry out for a good week now it is still very soft - TALLOW :roll:

so i preceeded to add the Angel fragrance and then rolled the soap on itself between the grease-proof paper, it got messy then as the soap had such a hold on the paper it wouldn't part company with it and my efforts have been thwarted hence :cry:

it is now an un-recoverable mess in my bin

the Angel oil did overpower the Arko honk quite well but i don't know how long that would've lasted.

i feel that this could work but conclude that Arko isn't the best soap base to use.
in fact a non-tallow soap might be best, not a glycerin base (as we know these can be melted) but a Palmate base perhaps?

Anton can I ask if you tried the rosewater and glycerine as an after shaving product?

I would imagine the astringent properties could be quite useful.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.healthyherbalplants.com/rosewater.php">http://www.healthyherbalplants.com/rosewater.php</a><!-- m -->

I tracked down a recipe for some 'homebrew' but if your guy stocks it at £3 it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Hope I'm not repeating advice given elsewhere, as haven't read the whole thread. Rose essential oil is indeed extremely expensive - I paid £64 for 10mls a while ago, and that was cheap. You could try a mixture of Ylang Ylang and Geranium for a very vaguely similar smell, but nothing will smell like rose except rose.
Do bear in mind that the amount to use of essential oil would be max 2%, 1% would probably be enough for rose, as it is strong.
If you go for the more affordable alternatives like Ylang/geranium why not experiment with a cheap bar of rubbish from Wilkinsons first, in case you waste you're shaving soap - that way you can at least test the smell.
But do bear in mind that essential oils are highly concentrated, and can be irritating/sensitising. Lavender is a good one to start with, or tea tree if you like it, as these are the least likely to do you any damage.

Back
Top Bottom