Adding fragrances.

SirPrize you are correct, my comment was more of a supportive nature for the pigcat fellow.

Most Tallow and in particular triple milled soaps will not melt well, it can be done, but with only some soaps and even then very carefully. Glycerin soaps are not a problem to melt but for Tallow soaps such as Erasmic (which I believe was your original subject) then I would stick to the Parmesan grater.

The possibility of adding EO’s is an interesting one and unfortunately I think you may only find the answer by trial and error. I do not recall anyone having tried it before. I assume you mean grate the Erasmic and then grate an EO soap, mix them together and hopefully produce the same effect as normal milling but with this new better smelling mixture?

I do not see any reason why it would not work, heating the mix slightly may help the mix bind (heat the container), add a tablespoon of very hot water on top and proceed to tamping the mix down I think should (in theory) do the trick.

Did you have any particular EO in mind to go with the Erasmic?

I would be interested in your results if you try this.

Pig Cat said:
Does that mean we're friends again? This happens to me all the time. Before you it was my mate Jim...

Jim - yes - I remember him - arrogant, snobbish, long -winded sort of chap.
Frankly you are better off without friends like that.

SirPrize said:
Pig Cat said:
Does that mean we're friends again? This happens to me all the time. Before you it was my mate Jim...

Jim - yes - I remember him - arrogant, snobbish, long -winded sort of chap.
Frankly you are better off without friends like that.

+1

:) Am I the first person to use that here?! Snicker snicker...

Audiolab,
Thank you for your kind response.
In essence (If you will pardon the pun) I seek some fragrance-bearing fluid to mix with the dry grated soap that will then be absorbed by the dry soap and then dry to a hard cake.
Some sort of Rose fragrance - I rather fancy myself smelling like an Elizabethan Gallant, but after being disappointed with TOBS cream and recoiling at the prices of Rose soaps I began to wonder if there was a way that a self-sufficient person might contrive their own.
Once again thank you for your interest.

Anton

Sounds like you want some rosewater? Rose EO is very expensive but the water is nice -- night not be strong enough, though? I think you can get cheaper synthetic rose but Trumpers Coal Skinfood is basically rose + glyercine so adding that might be a double boon, esp to a tallow soap?

Rev-O said:
Anton

Sounds like you want some rosewater? Rose EO is very expensive but the water is nice -- night not be strong enough, though? I think you can get cheaper synthetic rose but Trumpers Coal Skinfood is basically rose + glyercine so adding that might be a double boon, esp to a tallow soap?

Ollie I think you are on to something here - I must try to locate a fairly strong rose water.
Could the members here please consult with their womenfolk for guidance on this? - brand names etc.

Also the idea of mixing GT coral skinfood with a tallow soap is a seductive thought - can someone advise me on the viscosity of this product? - I'm not going to punt out £13 on a whim.

Thanks for the input.

Anton

Ask Trumpers for a sample. If they say no I've got one here but they should send you a whole batch of goodies gratis.

The Coral is basically a very rose-y goo, like . . . well, er, like . . . oh never mind.

Thinnish wallpaper paste, that's it. Like that. And made with real roses as well as some synth parfum.

I ordered the Rose honeybee soaps and I had an e-mail exchange with Sue on the scent she used. I have deleted the exchange but the indication she gave me was that rose essence can be expensive, silly money expensive for Bulgarian Rose essence. She tried over a dozen and eventually found one that struck a balance between cost and scent; obviously she did not disclose the specific one. Rose water sounds like a good alternative.

Using the Google web searching tool I found some essences like this

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cater4you.co.uk/acatalog/Goodsphere_Essences.html">http://www.cater4you.co.uk/acatalog/Goo ... ences.html</a><!-- m -->

I was thinking because you only need such a small amount perhaps you could write to a vendor and ask for a smaller sample (10ml) that should be enough if using essence....I would think. It really is trial and error dependant on so many factors, the strength of scent on the original soap and the added essence or water, but it has to worth a shot for interest sake.

I shall consult the womenfolk and see what (if anything) I can gain in knowledge or suggestions form them.

Further...
Having scoured all the chemists in this part of town for rose water with no success, I was loitering with intent in the beauty-products girlie-stuff section at my local chemists when the man himself came out from behind the counter and asked if I needed help.
This was the same nice Mr Patel who had once allowed me to unscrew the lids of his small selection of TOBS creams to sniff them before making my selection - in other words - our sort of chap.
Taking the bull by the horns I decided to ask straight out sotto voce if he had any rose water.
Understandably this caused something of a double-take as I am clearly a male person of a heterosexual disposition so I decided to take him into my confidence - afer all if a chap can't confide in his pharmacist - who can he confide in?
I went on to explain my preference for Erasmic (which I buy from him) and my dislike of the odur thereof and that it had been suggested to me etc. etc. and he understood immediately.
Vanishing behind the counter he then re-emerged bearing a 250ml bottle of "Glycerine & Rose Water" by JR Beauty and insisted on sticking me for an entire three English pounds for this product.
So - if you want Rose Water you have to ask for it - it's not normally on the shelves.
I now have two unwrapped sticks of Erasmic drying out on the window-sill - and once they are dry enough to grate I will be in touch.
Thank you for your attention.

Anton

when I read posts like that I imagine you stomping about chemists shops with a top hat, cane and a valet running around after you. :mrgreen: classic stuff.

This is comedy gold.

Anton scouring Chelsea pharmacies for tincture of opium, cape swirling behind and silver-topped cane rapping on the counter.

Calling to some shopkeeper out of sight "My good man . . . I say!"

Chap walks into a Chemists and demands a large bottle of Methylated Spirits.
"Certainly, Sir" replies the assistant somewhat unsurely "For brush-cleaning - I imagine?"
"What the hell are you trying to imply you insolent young pup - now just get jumping behind that counter or do I have to summon the manager and get him to serve me?"
"No Sir - sorry sir - at once sir!"
"I should bloody well think so, and by the way - you wouldn't have one that has been slightly chilled would you?"

norwichbridewellpharmacy.jpg

SirPrize's local apothecary shop earlier today

Back
Top Bottom