Acquisitions w/c Mon Nov. 22nd - Sun 28th incl.

After having sold 4 slims.. look what I just got.. a J1 Slim Adjustable..
All the ones I've had (and subsequently sold) were excellent, but this one is mint, almost NOS.. might actually keep it :D
(until I want another straight probably...)

CoA9T.jpg

FiU4N.jpg

690hq.jpg

VFj9A.jpg

Should it stay or should it go...

Max

FrenchBlade said:
After having sold 4 slims.. look what I just got.. a J1 Slim Adjustable..
All the ones I've had (and subsequently sold) were excellent, but this one is mint, almost NOS.. might actually keep it :D
(until I want another straight probably...)

CoA9T.jpg

FiU4N.jpg

690hq.jpg

VFj9A.jpg

Should it stay or should it go...

Max

Hang onto it Max, it'll help you feel like Sean Connery as James Bond as you jet off round the world on your travels.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Hiya,

I recently stopped by one of the few estate sales around, and it was a sorta sad thing. Yeah, there were a few DE razors, but man.......all but one of these were funky.

The first razor I saw was the only one worth keeping, and I'll include a pic of this older Merkur slant. This one's got the thin handle, which I haven't tried before. Heh, I probably won't end up using it anyway, since I rarely use the slants I already have. This razor is in nice shape.

I asked about any more razors and was pointed to a box that contained three closed razor cases. One was a small square travel razor box with a hammered silver case. Another was a long skinny box that would usually contain something like a ball end Single Ring old type. The last was a good sized plain silver metal (heavily tarnished and plating gone) one that coulda held anything. I actually found my Bulldog in a box like that.

I open the silver box first and it's what used to be a Hoffritz gold slant with blade holders. The holders are in great shape but the razor itself looks nasty. I figured it very well might clean up fine and grabbed it. Sigh....that was dumb.

I opened the Gillette box and it's an old beat up Ball End. That one I passed on, since I have others in much better shape that I never use.

The last and smallest one contains the most adorable 4 piece silver Merkur travel slant, with the only problem being it was also nasty looking. I thought what the hell and took it along. I was hoping the old baking soda trick would help that razor considerably.

They are both hopeless. Whoever used these things musta put em away wet and then forgot about em. Jeeez, Maas doesn't even touch the stuff that's keeping the head so dull on one of em. It's like a gray film..........nice eh?

So, one keeper outta three. Not so good is it? Yeah, that's what comes from being a Pollyanna.....

The good news is the three razors ran me $15 out the door after a little negotiating. Yep, the Merkur's worth more than that, so no big deal. I always figure I'm gonna get a stinker every now and then, and so I always try for the best price just in case.

The other sad thing was the lack of any other shaving related items. Yeah, you'd think there would be some nice old blades or maybe a few NOS Old Spice pucks. I woulda even probably bought a NIB Plisson if one was available.

This was sort of a bittersweet experience. Yes, I am a sensitive man.

Here's a couple pics of the one worth keeping. I won't depress you by showing those other carcasses........sheeesh. Man, I was really an optimist this time.

Attachments

• Merkur 001.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 149
  • Merkur 002.jpg
  • Merkur 003.jpg
Picked this up yesterday. I'm contemplating:

a) Send it to somebody to clean up/hone

b) Get tooled-up and have a crack at it myself

DSC_7340.jpg

Ian