Acquisitions - September 2021

Just wow! What a carefully curated cabinet collection of cool…

How does the pimento version compare to the green bottle of Benjamin’s? He asks an irrelevant aside.
Cheers! It is ever-changing as stuff gets used, moved on or new stuff comes in ... but in the main, it's what makes me smile most at the time. It's a functional collection.

Benjamins Primento gives a mild burn ... nicer to splash on top of head than anywhere else.

Thanks for asking that: I've been wondering which to get and don't want all 3. Much as i love peppers of all sorts, I can't get my head round pepper splash, it sounds like chemical warfare or at least crowd control. Will probably grab a bottle of the 'original' or maybe the mentholated if that's the top tip.

I have maybe half of them out on display, what with those on the risers and the cases at the back:

AM-JKLU9K78w_nT5taqiNDhGQzy4AU3FfE3ybrhiIyBj7RXTK_3os2jOhmZRdjAF4dA_symkKfYT8Mvj9s3go5MFmtzcJ0W-s3_CoSQKoaKusiiFoZYxNWiKe6RNG-vaW4jIqHmRo-xgV2AQykxFxtI60spW0g=w800

Third shelf down.
This shot never gets old :love:

I went on a bit of a Boti Brush Binge a few weeks ago. The knots and handles arrived just before I went on holiday
and I assembled them last night.
Left to right.
26mm Fan Boar
23mm Bulb Boar
25mm Black Fibre
27mm Horse Hair

They look great, I wasn't planning on buying anything but the Boti Fan Boar looks near enough perfect. What is the density like Brian? It definitely looks like it is unbleached as well. What size handle did you get for the 23mm sized knot?

The brown horse knot looks nice as well.

They look great, I wasn't planning on buying anything but the Boti Fan Boar looks near enough perfect. What is the density like Brian? It definitely looks like it is unbleached as well. What size handle did you get for the 23mm sized knot?

The brown horse knot looks nice as well.
Thanks Shubs. The fan looks to be pretty dense. I imagine it will have plenty of backbone but of course I will have to use it first to be really sure. The 23mm knot is set in a 24mm handle. I also have high hopes for that one. I like using large knots but have a soft spot for something around the 24mm mark. I have already redone the synth brush as it was just a tad off the vertical. All the handles are 1mm larger than the knot size. I threw in the horse as it only cost about £3 for the knot and I really want to find a horse knot which works for me

Thanks Shubs. The fan looks to be pretty dense. I imagine it will have plenty of backbone but of course I will have to use it first to be really sure. The 23mm knot is set in a 24mm handle. I also have high hopes for that one. I like using large knots but have a soft spot for something around the 24mm mark. I have already redone the synth brush as it was just a tad off the vertical. All the handles are 1mm larger than the knot size. I threw in the horse as it only cost about £3 for the knot and I really want to find a horse knot which works for me

Cheers for the info Brian,

Like yourself I find the sweet spot to be around the 24mm mark, I'd be intrigued how the brown horse knot works out for you.

This made me feel inadequate, so I've been on 'the Bay' and purchased 2 x techs and a vintage TTO.

I just hope they're useable!
At this rate though, it'll take me years to get to your level! :D
Cheers! (y)

Yes, they are indeed all usable ... very few duplicates and I can point to a material difference, or uniqueness, in practically each and every one. My collection used to be much more diverse, but I sold off big chunks of the collection (like Micromatics and on; Gillette Rockets & SuperSpeeds) so it's really an ASR 1912 and Gillette Tech collection with a handful of razors peripheral to those models. I like 1912s. I like Techs.

All that said, I actually have a very concise set of razors that are used in rotation: a 1912, Gillette Hybrid Tech, Muhle Rocca, Yaqi SE, Yaqi AC and a short line of brass Gillettes. The razors form a lovely collection and give me a lot of pleasure handling and arranging.

Actually, that picture is a little dated ... here's today:

AM-JKLVdtDoy5mY83p7ATQFhnIfuYrBwmmH7pusfiFn2-whzMb057ByZHQhPOqAci43IqUMCtdQ0hGZ7XIyeSLCtXKePx3yZuXnzBzQbhnP8otQcKWSApggLVTTmst8ahxcLocWUC5LF1dQbMVBrGDjwYtlGPw=w800

Cheers! (y)

Yes, they are indeed all usable ... very few duplicates and I can point to a material difference, or uniqueness, in practically each and every one. My collection used to be much more diverse, but I sold off big chunks of the collection (like Micromatics and on; Gillette Rockets & SuperSpeeds) so it's really an ASR 1912 and Gillette Tech collection with a handful of razors peripheral to those models. I like 1912s. I like Techs.

All that said, I actually have a very concise set of razors that are used in rotation: a 1912, Gillette Hybrid Tech, Muhle Rocca, Yaqi SE, Yaqi AC and a short line of brass Gillettes. The razors form a lovely collection and give me a lot of pleasure handling and arranging.

Actually, that picture is a little dated ... here's today:

AM-JKLVdtDoy5mY83p7ATQFhnIfuYrBwmmH7pusfiFn2-whzMb057ByZHQhPOqAci43IqUMCtdQ0hGZ7XIyeSLCtXKePx3yZuXnzBzQbhnP8otQcKWSApggLVTTmst8ahxcLocWUC5LF1dQbMVBrGDjwYtlGPw=w800
That's a great den there Paul! Will use this photo every time my fiancée complains that i have too much shaving stuff! :) Apart from the massive collection of razors, I like that you have some nice custom boar brushes there. I am a boar (and omega only...) enthusiast for brushes.

Back
Top Bottom