Acquisitions - January 2022

East Kilbride probably. Interesting back story to their demise - in the mid-60's Gillette sued them for patent infringement at Glasgow Sheriff Court and lost, but had the last laugh - they bought the plant and shut it down, keeping the Perma Sharp brand - which of course, they still use. As a mostly PR thing - PS gave their staff time at work to shave - I know this to be true as I worked with a guy who was employed there before joining the, then, City of Glasgow police. - I.
Wilkinson Sword down at Cramlington did this as well ...

every-day-at-the-factory-of-the-wilkinson-sword-company-in-outside-picture-id873995748

Testing at Wilkinson Sword Company in Cramlington

Every day at the factory of the Wilkinson Sword Company in Cramlington, outside Newcastle, 270 men who make the razor blades shave on duty as part of the production. From the many used blades a number are taken for examination in the laboratory. This is not all. A study is made when someone complains about a poor shave. Here the physiological background is studied. Sometimes the man is not feeling well, other times he might have been having a few late nights, or even a row with his wife. All these things add up to skin condition and whether they get a good shave or not, our picture Shows: Nearest the camera George Moffatt, next Robert Martin, Gordon Watson and Frank McAlroy. 6th March 1967. (Photo by Freddie Reed/Mirrorpix/Getty Images)

every-day-at-the-factory-of-the-wilkinson-sword-company-in-outside-picture-id873995748

Nearest the camera George Moffatt, next Robert Martin, Gordon Watson and Frank McAlroy. 6th March 1967. (Photo by Freddie Reed/Mirrorpix/Getty Images)
Exactly how my auld man shaved (and taught me) in from work, shirt collar turned inside, a quick face wash, lathered up and shaved before tea.
Brought back a nice memory that.
T

Wilkinson Sword down at Cramlington did this as well ...

Every day at the factory of the Wilkinson Sword Company in Cramlington, outside Newcastle, 270 men who make the razor blades shave on duty as part of the production. From the many used blades a number are taken for examination in the laboratory. This is not all. A study is made when someone complains about a poor shave. Here the physiological background is studied. Sometimes the man is not feeling well, other times he might have been having a few late nights, or even a row with his wife. All these things add up to skin condition and whether they get a good shave or not, our picture Shows: Nearest the camera George Moffatt, next Robert Martin, Gordon Watson and Frank McAlroy. 6th March 1967. (Photo by Freddie Reed/Mirrorpix/Getty Images)
Great photo. I love the comments and reference of names and date.

This purchase was allowed - it's on the approved 3 list for 2022 :D

The new Alpha brush that's on its way isn't though....
Folded like a deckchair in a gale.

Karve Overlander inbound from @jphelan81 - I'm not even going to try and pretend it was on the approved '22 list.

I'm glad @Ed-Belfast bought that T&H brush from @Rohleder as I nearly went for that as well. Naughty temptress!!

Folded like a deckchair in a gale.

Karve Overlander inbound from @jphelan81 - I'm not even going to try and pretend it was on the approved '22 list.

I'm glad @Ed-Belfast bought that T&H brush from @Rohleder as I nearly went for that as well. Naughty temptress!!
And lasted a week longer than me! I too was tempted by the outlander but the Nodachi got me first. Must not preorder an Era, must not preorder an Era, must not preorder an Era!

New toy arrived today, a long handled Merkur Progress 510. First load will be an Astra SP, as that is my regular blade - will start at low settings and carefully work up to find where its teeth are !! :)

Excellent next day service from Connaught too.

View attachment 83768
... there is a school of thought (once you're happy with how it works for you) that the first pass should be on a lower setting than the second pass, so 1st pass on 2 or 3 and second on 4 or 5. The rationale is you're picking up the stragglers only with the second pass and can make it quite open as you'll feel it a lot better on your skin giving you a lighter touch to the shave and more effective in the pass.

Have fun!

... there is a school of thought (once you're happy with how it works for you) that the first pass should be on a lower setting than the second pass, so 1st pass on 2 or 3 and second on 4 or 5. The rationale is you're picking up the stragglers only with the second pass and can make it quite open as you'll feel it a lot better on your skin giving you a lighter touch to the shave and more effective in the pass.

Have fun!
Thanks for that info.

I get decent results with my Merkur 20C and Astra SP combo, which i have used for a few years, but felt i needed a new toy to play around with and an adjustable gives me a whole new dimension of things to experiment with and tweak.

I looked at lots of adjustables, but felt comfortable getting the Progress as i reckon it must be good if its still in production and largely unchanged after 60 odd years.

I will also try out the Super Shave X Platinum blades that came bundled with the Merkur (but will give a swerve to the included single Merkur blade as i recall the one that came with the 20c wasn't so great)

View attachment 83848

Forum enabler of late 2021/early 2022 goes to @Sabre

We thank you for your duty.

Delivered by MakeUp.Uk today, a fine haul of splashes. Only had a chance to the Bi-Es Max, really impressed with it, an incredible splash for a few quid.
Glad it wasn't just me that added random soaps to the shaving gear order. Got to be honest, I didn't really need a bar of Pomegranate scented bath soap, but it was rude not to :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom