Acquisitions - December 2021

An Aramis mug I have considered getting for awhile and another Gibbs Brush that will get a new Boar Knot to replace the nasty stained synthetic in it.
View attachment 81886
The brush looks really nice! It's a real pleasure pulling those old nylon knots out and reviving the brush with a new knot. Boar is a sound choice. Enjoy it!

Thanks Paul. The Gibbs I've learned are harder to get out due to a metal ring used around their knot but doable.
Maybe get some pictures of the process?

My usual is to trim right back to the top of the handle and then bore out from the middle. Sometimes I just go straight in with a spade bit just a tad smaller than the hole and a little angling will clean the hole out perfectly. Other times, I'll bore out and leave a lot still in the hole around the edge, then use whatever feels right to chip away at what's left.

Once I got lucky with mole grips and a good twist. That knot had a metal ring around.

AM-JKLUAI7804TMgtgBNnqv-7U5Y8VkDCLmCIN18UlELTPh-PEUDCHVJr9xD7-NnHab0q0ay2Svh05P8rUVVlRiaCHWCaSqjQcyful5E48HbWKAM6JhdfE3N_3Jm-8iJoPPRKyJM9ytmBPLytUvFo4VaM1ng6A=w800

Horrible, cheap knot with no class ... but the handle it lovely. It got a slightly over-sized Cashmere synthetic.

AM-JKLW6mjfgFeI-UvZRcmWqI9cynfqjm9L7vod6lzbiKGox1RA6QSNKmC3OyJ5TV_yrpF5zdtiwZ4UJZaFP_8yGfl91rk8O2tlqWbOzqUbOuhwPsMG18j4gTxYJ-m-KJIMUxGZASrSo64wVbTVRaB-qP4eRvQ=w800

... which might be a consideration for the Gibbs? Honouring the original nylon knot with a modern synthetic that has much of the feel of a soft boar.

Maybe get some pictures of the process?

My usual is to trim right back to the top of the handle and then bore out from the middle. Sometimes I just go straight in with a spade bit just a tad smaller than the hole and a little angling will clean the hole out perfectly. Other times, I'll bore out and leave a lot still in the hole around the edge, then use whatever feels right to chip away at what's left.

Once I got lucky with mole grips and a good twist. That knot had a metal ring around.

Horrible, cheap knot with no class ... but the handle it lovely. It got a slightly over-sized Cashmere synthetic.

... which might be a consideration for the Gibbs? Honouring the original nylon knot with a modern synthetic that has much of the feel of a soft boar.

I have a second one so may do a synthetic in one. They are a mere 18mm though and here's an example of the metal ring that goes deeper than the seat for the knot so it's a different animal than your example to remove. It takes care or the cheap plastic will shatter after years of getting brittle. I do similar to what you describe but with a small pilot hole that I use a Dremel to widen it out carefully with.
IMG_20211222_172212164_HDR.jpg

It's a Christmas miracle:giggle: My package from Makeup.uk - confirmed by UPS as lost/damaged - arrived yesterday afternoon fully intact o_O Coupled with a Turkish barber opening his doors in my town -and my wife returning from getting the boys shorn with a Red One Silver cologne for me - and a Tabac restock off of Amazon (non-Tallow formula), it's fair to say I'm one happy bunny :D 269682809_1720642848135088_7733329154323156976_n.jpg

The PAL has arrived and is in super NOS condition, if it had ever been used, I wouldn't be able to tell.
The blades, I'm not sure whether I should try one, the injector looks like the side is off and possibly even some oil on them, not quite sure until I pop one out. I may just use a Schick blade.
Whichever I decide to use, this will be my next shave.

Attachments

• IMG_20211223_025034__01.jpg
    IMG_20211223_025034__01.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 6
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I've been looking out for an old gilette with a solid baseplate and managed to pick this up recently. The seller didn't inform me about the big crack in the handle so I was well pissed off when I first opened it. I've been refunded half the purchase price which is fine as I'll repair the handle. It came up well after a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Bought a few bits n bobs this month. The Razors are the Fakelight Series by PAA.
Don’t know why i bought them all but there you go i did it’s just me.
To be fair i love these razors and they genuinely shave well.
The blades well i’m not expecting much but if paa have any input then i think they will be decent but time will tell.
iv not had a shave in 3 days due to the fact i feel totally shect but tomorrow is a new day.
The Brush is called the Star Wisp and it’s a 24mm Synthetic,
i really liked the look of this one.
Another two soaps from Pinnacle Grooming,
Black Panther & Aquarius, The scent of the two soaps i like however the first top note on the Black Panther is Cannabis which i have zero interest so i’m unsure if i’ll like it or not.
Everytime you buy a soap from Pinnacle you get 6 free samples a fantastic touch.
The star of the show however is the
Old Spice Captains Tankard Decanter full of vintage old spice.
I still can’t believe i managed to get this one so cheap.
Stay Safe Lads
6729E631-3941-4671-A1C2-08B107D5EE79.png866108A9-1CFC-4A42-AF22-5742F0CAD18D.pngCD24C45A-BCFA-46A4-92DE-E3C5C140C6AA.png42394041-804C-4957-8D95-23C98BCC0082.png19EEA5A8-DF36-4856-ABCA-DEDBE24BCF87.png7DCB3734-5DC2-4D7C-B34B-3A29ED92CE99.png2C5FF2DF-773D-4D35-BC41-42D6A121BD44.jpegE62DCDC5-15BA-42AF-A4AE-FDC4AFCAA200.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom